Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Day Later: I Didn't Say It ...

George Takei, actor and LGBT activist, on Kim Davis: 

"Well this is a bit of a circus. So let us be clear: This woman is no hero to be celebrated. She broke her oath to uphold the Constitution and defied a court order so she could deny government services to couples who are legally entitled to be married. She is entitled to hold her religious beliefs, but not to impose those beliefs on others. If she had denied marriage certificates to an interracial couple, would people cheer her? Would presidential candidates flock to her side? In our society, we obey civil laws, not religious ones. To suggest otherwise is, simply put, entirely un-American."

Leave it to Takei to make it perfectly queer!

Sarah Palin, on what immigrants should do if they wish to stay here:

"I think we can send a message and say, 'You want to be in America, (A), you'd better be here legally or you're out of here. (B), when you're here, let's speak American."


I suggest the Mama Grizzly Bore™ start speakin’ English and then maybe, in a few years, when she’s a wee bit smarter, she can offer advice.

Ellen Page, on the process of coming out: 

“I remember thinking, Ellen, how in God’s name could you make this film [Freeheld] and not be out? What’s interesting to me is how long it took to make the movie — for it to finally come together — and how my internal progression toward coming out was naturally in line with it. Stacie and Laurel’s story is incredibly inspiring and did take a lot of courage, particularly in a time of such unimaginable difficulty. It really did make me go, Dude, just tell people you’re gay. Just get over yourself, honestly, and support those who are not as privileged. It’s like, You have f**king privilege, so do something with it.”


Good for her, for realizing that she was getting nothing out of life, and putting nothing into it, by staying closeted.

Julianne Moore, co-starring as Ellen Page’s lover in “Freeheld”, on not knowing what it means to be closeted:


“It was interesting for me, because Ellen had just so recently come out … And this is going to sound silly, and hopefully not hurtful on my part, but I don’t think I was aware of how painful it is to be closeted. I have the advantage of being a person who’s never had to hide my sexuality, so I asked her a lot of questions — frank questions — about what that feels like. She said she felt discomfort simply wearing all these dresses, and it was all very eye-opening for me. She was so unprotective [of herself] — I was very touched by that.”

If you have ever had to hide who you are, whatever that may be, you know what it’s like to be closeted; a secret kept is a lock on the door.

Jon Davidson, of Lambda Legal, on Kim Davis:

"I have to wonder: just how many of those supporting Kentucky clerk Kim Davis’s refusal to issue marriage licenses based on her religious objection to same-sex couples marrying would support a Quaker government official who refused to issue them gun permits based on a religious commitment to pacifism?"

Oh hell no. They’re not coming for our guns!

8 comments:

  1. I believe that someone coming to live in another country should commit to learn to speak the language if they wish to settle there. But it should also be the responsibility of the government's to provide the relevant education.

    I hope my country welcomes with open arms the Syrian refugees who are allowed to come to live in the UK, and then gives them the chance to learn to speak English if they don't do so already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up for volunteering to teach English to immigrants here but somehow got shuttled to working with incarcerated moms (for drugs) to get their GEDs. Hopefully it was because they had so many volunteers.
    Might get another chance as we are an identified community to get refugees from Syria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest mama moose mess sign up for an ESL class; she needs it.

    and LARGE kissies to george takai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for the double post up there.

    LOVING the new font; much easier for these old eyes to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual George hit it out of the park. Little Miss Multi Married Kim is a tempest in a tea pot that is causing few serious ripples. Especially now that the Oath Keepers are supposed to stand down.

    I'm sick of the anti-immigrant plank from the GOP. If we weren't a country of immigrants, none of us would be here, except for the Natives.

    Living in the closet is painful and causes one to do all sorts of shite to keep the secret. I'm sick of it, but to fearful to step out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @AM
    I decided I needed to spruce up the joint. That old page was getting too "dotty" for me.
    Glad you like it and can read it.
    Reading is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re the Davis saga: Hadn't thought of the guns/Quaker analogy before. It's a powerful one and directly parallel. Good on that man!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......