Wednesday, September 04, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: Just A Couple Of Yurts

Here’s your chance—if you have $1.1M lying around—to own a one-of-a-kind custom cedar yurt home in Poughquag, New York. The house sits on over 37 acres, is directly linked to the Appalachian Trail and features an in-ground saltwater pool! Just ninety-minutes from New York City.

Positioned on its own private hill, the property has breathtaking year-round views, and allows residents to experience both sunrise and sunset. The two interconnected yurts, united by a curved breezeway, seamlessly marry the separate living spaces.

The main yurt includes a beautiful chef's kitchen that leads into the living room featuring expansive windows and breathtaking vista views. The kitchen blends functionality and style, featuring a walk-in pantry, marble countertops, double wall ovens, and a concealed induction cooktop within a handmade butcher block island. There are also two bedrooms, a well-appointed bathroom with a large soaking tub and shower, and a laundry room on this side. Upstairs you will find a loft with a half bath and a skylight allowing you to sleep under the stars while below the main level there is a finished walk out basement with an electric fireplace, family room and home gym. In the smaller yurt is the primary suite, complete with its own skylight, freestanding bathtub, washer-dryer, and a wood-burning stove.

The property features underground electric, a well, and a septic system, and boasts fields of wildflowers nestled at its base with inviting trails cleared throughout. Gardner Hollow Brook meanders through the lower portion of the land and the nearby Pawling Metro-North station offers a direct link to the city, effortlessly combining rural seclusion with urban convenience.

Again, $1.1M …

Click to emBIGGERate …


And here’s a glimpse in Summer and the inviting pool.

Dwell


30 comments:

  1. Your yurt is is not so bad looking. I see traces of American colonial in the furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Charming, unusual, inviting, cheerful. Beautiful in winter, although I wouldn’t last long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the snow, too, but would prefer to be able to use the pool!

      Delete
  3. Not bad in a round about way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this one appeals to my curmatronly, hermit heart, Bobulah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like "curmatronly." I may start using it!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:46 AM

    the dog's mother
    My goodness! The views!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cleora Borealis1:08 PM

    🤗 I'm impressed! I've always thought of yurts as more rustic, tent-like, off-the-grid living spaces. This is really nice to have everything I want and be both on-the-grid and away-from-the-grid. I don't need so much wooded acreage...any forest rangers out there wanna share that big price tag with me? 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to see tent-like yurts so I like this upgrade!

      Delete
  7. I agree ... this place is beautiful and liveable! Far too much acreage for an old lady, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sell off the land for a little nest egg!

      Delete
  8. I appreciate the style and Design but this one's a hard pass for me. No I like the interior more than the exterior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's less tent-like yurt-y, which I like, but, yes, the interiors are nice.

      Delete
  9. You had me at yurt and underground electric.

    For something different, I could work with this. I love the four seasons and being away from everyone.

    By car, the drive is an hour and a half to NYC and almost 4 hours by train. Can we move the property a little closer to NY? But I am sure there are places before NY where one can get the essentials and a good cup of coffee and biscuit.

    The interiors are unique. I could put my stamp on things. A little color and get rid of the vessel sinks. I will have to reevaluate the tub situation. I have never been a fan of tubs taking up precious floor space. Incorporate them into a shower ok. But having them sit all by themselves as a feature, no. Let's see how we can tweak that kitchen just a skosh. Never been a fan of open shelving. They are dust and grease traps. I might be ok with the cooker on the island. Ideally, I would not have either. I would also reevaluate those barn doors. How about upscale pocket doors or different types of barn doors. Something unique. I do love the light. Great for helping ease those dreary winter days. The outside has loads of possibilities to make it a retreat year-round. You would think at that price point things would be ready to go and not much tweaking is needed. I may be talking myself out of buying the property.

    Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa.
    LUXE Yurts, you mean? That's some dough right there. I think I like rough-around-the-edges yurts, though. That's a lot of investment in furniture when the yurts can be well, not too sturdy.
    I love the location, though. Would go.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's a sturdy yurt ... a yurty?
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. Quite amazing really. I would call the one on the left Yogyurt 1 and the one on the right Yogyurt 2.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's an interesting property. I wouldn't need that much land but the house/yurts is kind of fun. Though I suppose if one could afford the price, one could afford gardeners and housekeepers to care for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably sell off a lot of the land and live quite comfortably ... if someone plowed my driveway in the winter.

      Delete
  13. So? The gym is in a large walk-in closet? No windows? Or is that one slit a window? Otherwise... not a fan of that sea green or the cornflower blue or the black and white tile design... but otherwise, very nice. It starts out nice. Not sure about the exterior or the ummm.... landscaping? It's like the land is trying to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gym is in the basement so, probably no window or a small one! I kind of like the rural landscape ... maintenance free for the most part!

      Delete
  14. I like this one very much, but not so much that I'd move to America. I don't like the cherry blossom wallpaper, but that's an easy fix. $1.1m seems cheap for all that land, here in Australia you'd be paying three times that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd sell off the land, make it all easier to manage!

      Delete
  15. I'm pretty sure the Sami people never camp like that, but that is EXACTLY the way I like to camp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running water and a fully equipped kitchen and bath??? Me, too!

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......