Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: Claremont Church

This converted chapel, close to the heart of the city of Bath, has been carefully restored to create a light-filled, voluminous family home set beneath original arched ceilings with over 3,500 square feet, five bedrooms and a generous rear garden.

Built in 1881 the Victorian chapel, has been updated and modified; its current owner spared improved the space’s thermal performance with secondary glazing added inside the windows in order to retain their elegant original frames and additional insulation alongside underfloor heating across the living spaces. A large round window at the front, complete with its original tracery, is fitted with stained glass designed by students from Bath City College in 1990 and, while the original proportions of the chapel have been preserved, two mezzanines were added to create additional living space and bedrooms.

A blue-painted arched doorway leads into a generous foyer with colorful original floor tiles and stained-glass windows. Beyond is the entrance hall, where tumbled oak floorboards begin and lead into the main living space: a triple-height room featuring an open-plan kitchen, dining and living spaces lit by the original tall windows. The kitchen has quartz countertops, a refined Lacanche stove, generous island and opens into a utility room, with further cabinetry and a second sink. On the other side is a sitting room space, with built-in cabinetry; a quiet place, perfect to curl up and read a book or watch a film.

A mezzanine level, which starts just underneath the striking stained-glass window, makes for another living area or study and provides views back across the ground floor. Below is a useful boot room, perfect for hanging coats and kicking off shoes, as well as a study and a guest powder room.

The mezzanine at the opposite end of the home is where you find the main bedroom, with double-height ceilings, dressing room and luxurious bathroom, with a freestanding bath set against Versailles parquet floors. There is another bedroom on this floor, also with a dressing room and a shower room.

From there, steps descend to three other bedrooms; one has an en suite with a shower, while the remaining two share a family bathroom. There is additional linen closet and a door that opens to the back garden.

The garden surrounds two sides of the house, providing a side entrance from the street. South-east-facing, it has exceptional views across Solsbury Hill, Prior Park, Bathwick Hill, central Bath and fields upon fields of green. Some mornings, the mist hangs in the valley until it burns off in the sun. The garden is partly paved, creating space for a table and chairs, and partly laid to lawn, framed by borders ready to be planted in the Spring. Two residents parking permits come with the house.

This is my kind of church, peaceful, calm, and home.

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

32 comments:

  1. A little too white for me, but otherwise, I'd have no problem living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon, get some paint from the big orange box and splash it around!!

      Delete
  2. The space works well. I love the floors. Bath cabinets, leave a useless dust catching space on the side. The kitchen lacks storage for the size of the house. I could fix it. Bath is a delightful place. The Baths are interesting, there is good food, and a nice canal runs through the edge of the historic center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a very large pantry next to the kitchen ... I just love the space and the building.

      Delete
  3. Cleora Borealis10:57 AM

    I love the IDEA of repurposing old churches into homes, but not the NIGHTMARE of upkeep and heating and housecleaning repurposed old churches! 🤯 Kudos on the rainfall showers, though! 🚿😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's cost a penny to get the mechanicals up and running.

      Delete
  4. You had me at a converted chapel. Love the space and how things are laid out. I can put my touch on it and make it a home. A little too big for this old man but I can invite friends over a holiday. Yes, bring Carlos and the kids and stay awhile. Cocktails at 5.

    The first picture concerned me because the area looked doom and gloom. I went searching and found a great video taking you through the property -- https://youtu.be/38DvKknZLyA?feature=shared And additional pictures of the outside- https://search.savills.com/com/en/property-detail/gbbhrsbts230288

    Thank you for sharing. I just love the repurposing of old gas stations, banks, old-time automobile showrooms, and country stores... to something new BUT keeping the character and charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for taking unused spaces and making them homes.

      Delete
  5. I always like a church-turned-residential renovation. The groovy abstract painting in the kitchen wins points from me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:09 PM

    Bath is a magnificent city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read, yes it does.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous12:46 PM

    the dog's mother
    Also been to Bath.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could'a bought a church!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Ever since “Alice’s Restaurant” I’ve had a fantasy of living in a converted church. I love this one. The facade/front landscaping needs something, but I’ll take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kinda right on the street but I could deal witht hat because of the space inside.

      Delete
  9. Stunning!!!!! I'd move in in a minute!!! Love the bathrooms. Love the open design and the original windows add so much to the design. The exterior facade could use some help. Just imagine having that huge round stained glass window!!!! My happy hour could be renamed...Holy Communion Hour!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; I love that they kept so much of the old and yet modernized the house.
      I would like Holy Communion Hour, I think.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! I like the attention to hidden details like increased insulation, preservation of windows with secondary glazing, in-floor heating. Stone structures can be intimidating, but this adaptive reuse is lovely and accommodating to modern use. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a very thoughtful reno of the place and I love that!
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. I don't like the looks of it from the outside. Creepy! I have a blog friend that lives on the Isle of Man in a converted chapel and hers is much smaller than this but not scary from the outside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the old stone exterior and the sleek crisp interior.

      Delete
  12. Yes!
    One of my things is that when I grow up, I wanna buy an old church and make it my house. This would be perfect. The space, the color scheme, the distribution. Everything.
    I'd move right in. I'd only bring my clothes and my plants. And my books. And my records.
    But you get the idea.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an old church for sale here and I wish now that we'd bought it and turned it into a house. It had so many great possibilities.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. They've made the most of the space and this property is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree; I love the space in every room.

      Delete
  14. There's a few things I'd change but overall it's quite beautiful. Lovethe foyer and the huge kitchen/dining/living area with that stained glass window looking over it all from the mezzanine area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that open space and the stained glass, too.

      Delete
  15. That dowdy exterieur belies a lovely interior doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I like it; the rustic old stone outside and the simple interiors.

      Delete
  16. Very nice indeed. It looks quiet, modest and respects the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Respects the building" is a good way of putting it, Andrew.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......