Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Swiss Chalet Craftsman

This 109-year-old gorgeous Swiss Chalet Craftsman embodies the character and craftsmanship of the early 20th century, but has been lovingly restored with modern amenities, and is now as vibrant today as it did when it was built in 1913.

The original home sat on Ocean Blvd across from the art museum but was slated for demolition until the current owner saw an ad for the home, giving it away for free … as long as it was moved to a new site. And so she took it and moved it to its present location, and then made certain that virtually every detail was resurrected through renovation, like … spacious rooms, beautiful hardwood flooring, custom built-ins, coffered ceilings, and original art glass windows, and a spectacular curved staircase.

Now the home sits in Bluff Park, just blocks to the Pacific Ocean. And even though she has some age on her, the home feels spacious and open like a more modern home, providing the perfect balance for both entertaining and living spaces. A massive living room showcases the dramatic fireplace wall with original built-in bookshelves, original art glass windows and an exposed wood-beamed ceiling with Mica chandeliers crown this amazing room. A spacious dining room with original built-ins—seen here as a billiards room—a sunroom, a breakfast room and a guest bath flow throughout the first level leading to the newly upgraded kitchen with high-end appliances and finishes, along with historically inspired custom cabinets.

Ascend the spectacular staircase to the second level to find four bedrooms, three of which have en-suite bathrooms; the primary bedroom features a dressing room and show-stopping bathroom with a steam shower and soaking air bath.

The private backyard, artfully landscaped with a combination of entertaining and private spaces, invites your imagination for outdoor living at its finest and set at the far back of the property are two one-bedroom, one-bathroom rental apartments built behind the house at its original location in 1924 and moved to the new site as well. In addition, there are five garages with alley access.

All that, the gorgeous history, the attention to detail, the modern amenities, the income-producing rentals, and a stroll to the beach can be yours for just $3.4 million.

23 comments:

  1. I’d snap this one up in a heartbeat. Stunning restoration/renovation inside and out. I’ll replace the hearth tiles and she can PLEASE take the furniture (I like some of it, but easier to start over). Did the seascape over the fireplace come from JC Penney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good grief. You're right Mitchell that's pretty bad.

      Delete
    2. A little shade on the seascape, though it does read more cheap motel to me. But I do love the fireplace tiles for their pop of color.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful old home. I could live there with no problem. Just need a few dozen friends and relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget the rental income from the back two apartments to help cover the mortgage!!

      Delete
  3. You really nailed it with this one Bob. I love a good mid-century Craftsman House. I of course I love the white with the wood tones, but you know that staircase took my breath away! Nice layout, open rooms of course I love the windows. But the gem of this house is that kitchen. I absolutely love the layout and the color they used. That were my kitchen I'd be in there cooking even more. I'd say it was a successful redo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The staircase seals the deal for me, because most Craftsman don't have any curves, and this staircase makes quite the statement. And I love the kitchen as well, and the primary suite dressing room.

      Delete
  4. Love the fireplace and the seascape, hate the gray kitchen. And those his and his desks? One of them would have to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos and I would love the desks, and the kitchen is more blue gray than gray, and I love that color. I will have to agree with Mitchell's shade about the seascape.

      Delete
  5. Lots of good work done to save the
    house. Glad they were able to get it
    done.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when these old houses are saved.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Perfect. The tile around the fireplace. The kitchen colors. That house was meant for me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that tile and the cabinet color, too.
      And that staircase!
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes! The staircase and the wood are great.

      Delete
  7. First... love the header. Second... this is heaven... this house. I would need to remove some of the Grandma influences found in the decor, but that staircase is to die for, as is all the woodwork. Relatively well done... but Grandma's got to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Kitty Headers!
      I agree it needs new furnishings [the pool table needs to go] but the staircase and the inglenook on the side of the staircase, sells me on this place.

      Delete
  8. This is a keeper!!

    I love a good Craftsman.

    I would enjoy the passive income of the apartments in the back. You know one can rent those for a pretty penny.

    Maybe it's the way the home is photographed but I would like to know how tall the ceilings are. I am 6/2 so I like things a little open.

    I am from Sacramento and there are Craftsmen home in the downtown area. I have been in a few. The craftsmanship is a trade that is long gone unless one goes custom.

    Let me break my piggybank and see if I can purchase the home. I may have to turn a few tricks.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for a craftsman, too, and I'm guessing that since it's 100+ years old, the ceilings have to be a little taller than normal.
      I love the old houses in downtown Sacramento. I used to live in one.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous5:36 PM

    Wide hallways & landings make a big difference. Even very expensive large modern houses tend to have skinny little halls behind and between the "open concept" rooms, making the whole place feel cramped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rooms here are separated, but feel much more spacious because of the wide hallways and landings.

      Delete
  10. That's a gorgeous house. I love it. It could definitely be made into a high-end B&B. (I'd have to, just to pay the mortgage!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, add in the B&B and then the rental income from the back units and, maybe your mortgage would be manageable????

      Delete
  11. Nice, but the kitchen needs rethinking.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......