Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Catskills Farmhouse

I love an old farmhouse; I love an old farmhouse that’s been renovated and yet stays true to its history. And I love an old farmhouse painted black.

This 1850s farmhouse now has 3,150 square feet, with three bedrooms and two-and-a-half-baths sitting on 41 acres at the foothills of the Catskill range surrounded by forests and meadows and gardens and guest houses and an outdoor kitchen, and greenhouse dining room.

The original farmhouse was expanded in 2020 with a modern addition of stacked stone quarried on the property and the floor-to-ceiling glass walls of the dining room showcasing wildflower fields, ancient trees and rock outcroppings.

The main, original house has two bedrooms and a shared bath, with the addition of a modern kitchen and dining room, as well as a screened porch for dining al fresco.

There’s a guest house, with living area, kitchen, sleeping alcove and bathroom; on another section of the property is a summer kitchen with a designated well, hot water, a refrigerator, and a propane stove. It is wired for internet and stands on a bluestone patio with an outdoor shower on the far exterior wall and firepit.

But if you want something a bit different for dining, a little less rustic perhaps, head to the enclosed garden and the greenhouse dining room, complete with radiant heat, electric heat pumps for heating and cooling, a full-house generator, hardwired speakers, and smart home automation.

It’s everything old and yet new again. And it’s painted black.

24 comments:

  1. With all apologies to the Rolling Stones, clears throat.
    *Bob sees an old farmhouse and wants it painted bla ack.
    Spiders in the wood pile and I hope that they're not bla ack.
    The dining area should never be e bla ack.*
    That's all folks. I ran out of steam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I love it, Deedles.

      Delete
    2. I adore a moody black room, Mick Deedles!

      Delete
    3. I much prefer moody blues, Bobulah. Mick Deedles, huh. I feel like I should be strutting my stuff down the street trying to hawk Big Macks!

      Delete
    4. I don't like fast food, but I might order a Mick Deedle!

      Delete
  2. Fun to see! We actually have an old
    farmhouse in our family and it is
    inhabited by real farmers (sil&dh).
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that this is a bit of a working farm, as far as vegetable sand such go.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. You had me at the Catskills with this one. Having been there numerous times the beauty is unparalleled. And what I like most about this house is all the natural elements in it, against some Modern touches like the tile work and some of the wallpapers. And who wouldn't want a greenhouse? Again the kitchen in this one in the bathrooms are lovely and very well appointed. And I love a house painted black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got so much going for it, I'd be entertaining non-stop, or using it as an event venue!

      Delete
  4. Love the local!! Beautiful views!! I could stay in the guest house and Airbnb the rest. But first I will need to move EVERYTHING out and start over and do some tweaking. Those couches/chairs are a nightmare for a guy who is 6/2 and 65 years of age. I am fit but just getting up and down would be a pain. That is why I never liked sport cars/low riding vehicles. As we know, when one buys a home the "stuff" is removed and you are left with the bare bones of the house. I like the bones. I can tweak the rest. PS-The black trend is old and tired. Time for a refresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree; I am still in the mood for a black house.

      Delete
  5. I like the black paint, too, and I love the kitchen. I like a house that has a lot of pretty wood in it. The furniture is not to my taste, but everything else is.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd get new furnishings, but I love the house and the paint colors, and the exterior, and the property itself!

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful house in such a peaceful location but I guess it is a very long walk to the nearest pub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be a hike!

      Delete
  7. I see a red door and I want it painted bla-ack....

    I love this! The Catskills are beautiful as long you’re not too close to my cousins and their ski homes. So, I avoid it like the plague. But, still, what a stunning house and setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of this, the house, the land, the gardens, the meadows.

      Delete
  8. We drove by there earlier today looking for something else! Coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should'a gone inside!!!

      Delete
  9. I love the wallpaper in the piano room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, please! But I think I'd be a bit concerned about winter time there, sweetpea! (I mean, I do live in Southern California!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......