Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Restored Midcentury

I like this one because it’s Midcentury, because it’s in my old hometown, Sacramento, and because it was designed by local architect John Harvey Carter in 1968 for a family who went on to live there for fifty years. After hitting the market for the first time in 2020, the three-bedroom, three-bathroom 2,232 light-filled residence was restored and updated, with much of the original design still intact.

When you enter the home, you face the blue panel wall that shields the dining room from view. Down a hallway to the left is a sunken living room, anchored by a drop-down fireplace and features, not original, but appropriate, shag carpet, as well as floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook a reflecting pool.

Yes, there’s a reflecting pool, ’all.

In fact, the formal living room, dining room, breakfast area, and family room all have stunning views of the side yard and the Zen courtyard reflecting pool. In addition to the courtyard, Carter was also influenced by other Japanese design influences, like the large overhanging eaves that shade the house from the California heat.

Past the dining room, with its own courtyard view, is the kitchen. Now, my one quibble might be the kitchen; while large, the double islands and overhead cabinetry, make it seem closed off in an otherwise incredibly open home. But, you know, a little remodel and the kitchen could still feel original.

Across from the kitchen, and across the reflecting pool from the living room is a more casual family room area. There are two bedrooms and a bath along one side of the home, while the primary suite and bath are along the other side.

I love the openness of the hose, and the quirky sunken living room; I also know the neighborhood where the house sits, and it is one of my favorites in Sacramento with large trees and wide lawns.

I think, and here’s another quibble, there’s no garage, that with a garage out front and with maybe a million or so in my bank account, I could really live in this house.

17 comments:

  1. This, for me, would be a nice place to visit. But...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like this one. I know, shocker, right? I don't know why I don't like this one. Maybe because it feels like an art gallery of some sort. Art galleries are fine to visit but not to live in. You see reflecting pool, I see mosquito breeding ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, but way too much white for me and the dogs, and too much glass. I do like the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have family in Sacramento.
    Around here, in last year's heat
    we had problems with toxic algae
    so that is what worries me about
    the pond. Luckily we had already
    taken out our pond.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compared with London prices, $1,385,000 seems a hell of a good deal for a house of such fine quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "Didion house" on T Street doesn't have a garage either, but still sold. Nice composition, but for thermal reasons not a fan of the single plane roof. More of a Midtown, Land Park, Curtis Park, McKinley Park, Boulevard Park guy myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating. Lots of Japanese influence. And I adore the sofa and those arm chairs. What a lovely period. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mitchell
    I love this, though I loathe that color blue on some of the furnishings and that paneled wall. I am living for the reflecting pool.

    @Deedles
    I like the art gallery quality but it needs some art. And as long as the water is circulated, no mosquitoes!

    @Dave
    The white is good for large-scale art pieces and I love that the glass is only at the back of the house for privacy.

    @TDM
    I’d hire a ponds-man.
    xoxo

    @Yorkshire
    A bargain right?

    @Unknown
    I know that house. I used to live on 23rd Street, right around the corner. I liked that neighborhood, but Land Park would be a dream.

    @Upton
    I like the Asian notes myself, but I’d toss around some color other than that blue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know you said 'midcentury' and I was almost sold. And then the 'reflective pool' thing came in and I was ready to move. I'd use the carport as garage, thank you very much.
    I love the idea of a sunken living room because what's more 'futuristic' that a conversation pit?
    I think you can see that some things are original to the house, though. Very cool.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Six
    I'd change a few things, but I also love the reflecting pool and the sunken living room. I feel very midcentury!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me drop this and leave---Rancho Cordova, Carmichael, Fair Oaks----

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Victor
    I grew up in Fair Oaks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that house! Mid-century modern is definitely my style. I could even live without a garage...but I wonder where they put their lawn mower?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Steve
    I have this thing about a garage for my car! And, yeah, where would the mower go?

    ReplyDelete

  15. This place is amazing, Bob - and the fact that a family lived there for 50 years gobsmacked me today!
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My father retired from the Air Force at Mather AFB----1974----Worked in HAVAC at McClellan AFB---We lived in Rancho Cordova-Zinfindale-Right off Coloma Road and just a few minutes from Sunrise----Graduated in 1976--- My first job was in Fair Oaks---Misson Oaks Convalescent Hospital---Moved to Sacramento---lived on Marconi and Mission---You crossed Misson and you were in Carmichael ----Moved to the other side of Mission Avenue---Carmichael---Went into the Air Force in 1984---My family still lives in Sacramento and my mother still lives in the house they bought---Rancho Cordova---1974 for $34,000---The rest is history---

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......