Friday, October 01, 2021

For My Sister ...On Her Birthday

Today is my sister Jeri’s birthday … it’s been almost seven years since she lost her battle with cancer.

SIDENOTE: It was never lost on me that the two most important women in my life, my mother and my sister, had birthdays in the same week, albeit years apart, and died in the same week, albeit years apart.

But this is about my sister, my big sister. My very first best friend; I loved her from the moment I was born, and I imagine she'd say she loved me from that second, too, even if I was 'the new baby.'

My sister, my big sister. We were very different; she was gregarious and outgoing and had tons of friends and was always doing something. I was shy, petrifyingly so — my mom used to joke that I didn't start talking until I was eighteen — and I had just a handful of friends.

My sister, my big sister. She could be as stubborn as a mule, and had quite the temper, while I always tried to please, and be the nice one, and not draw attention to myself. We were as different as night and day, and as thick as thieves.

My fondest memory of her is the day she taught me, without knowing it, how to say I love you. You see, that day she had called to chat, and we talked about everything, from what we were doing to what the world was doing and then, as we were saying our goodbyes, she said, All right then, I love you.

And I said, Thanks.

Thanks? That was my response to my sister saying I love you? I mean, I guess I meant to say Thank you for loving me but that isn't really the correct response either, is it? So, as I tend to do, I sat there after that phone call and wondered why it was so hard for me to say those words, and I realized that I come, came, from a family that didn't really ever 'say' the words. We showed our love; we knew we were loved; I guess we all felt we just didn't have to 'say' it. 

Add to that the idea that I also thought, subconsciously, at least back then, that I didn't deserve to be loved because I was the 'different' one; the gay son. I mean, my parents knew I was gay, and they were fine with it; they loved me. But I’ve always wondered if they ever hoped that I wasn't; no matter how much you love your gay children, as a parent you realize their lives would be easier if they weren't gay. So, I felt loved, but at the same time, unworthy of being loved because I wasn't the 'expected’ son.

My sister, thankfully, thought differently and could say I love you so easily and simply, without force, that it made me realize that I was worth it. And I thank her for that. After that conversation, and after my introspection, I listened to what she was saying: we all knew we were loved but she wanted us to hear it. And that made a huge difference.

Now, I didn’t change overnight and turn into one of those people that say I love you at the drop of a hat; it took time. I think the first time I said it back to her I probably choked on the words a little bit, as though they were somehow foreign to me, but it got easier and more natural.

I always knew my sister loved me, and I always will know it, it’s just that she made me realize I was worth it, and I could say it, and hear it and mean it and be it. That's just one of the lessons my sister taught me.

My sister, my big sister. My hero.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your big sister.

    Your family sounds amazing and is just the kind of family every child should have. You were very fortunate to have two such strong and loving women in your life. I am sorry they are gone from this earth. You keep them alive in your loving stories and in your heart, and in our hearts because of these stories.

    Thank you for being so loving and so worth of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bob, I’m sitting here crying. Sending you love from here because you are SO worthy of it. How lucky to have had a sister like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sadness that she is gone but the joy of all the fond memories...We raise a class to sis...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to tell your sister that you loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIP your lovely sister! But you know what, I come from a family that didn't say "I love you" too - but it was fine. I KNEW I was loved and that was what mattered most. That being said, I went totally the opposite way with my own kids and grandson - I am so demonstrative that maybe it is a reaction to not having that when I was a kid. Doesn't matter though in the end does it. Some people sadly aren't loved and they know it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific remembrance. Our family didn't say ILY out loud, either -- not until my stepmother married my dad, and she loosened up our use of the L word! (Not THAT L-word.)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......