Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Peninsula Residence

Okay, I know, I can’t make up my mind. Last week I was all about simple Craftsman by the sea, and this week I’m back in my favorite part of the world, the San Francisco peninsula, and this stunning Italianesque stone mansion. The 12,000-square-foot home sits on a rare, flat 2-acre parcel, perfect to accommodate a bright, large sunlit home that is both private and open. Architect Richard Beard created a perfect home to satisfy all of the homeowner’s needs and desires, for a casual, elegant lifestyle.

This was done by building a series of stone-clad, linked structures and walls that  define the property, and help to break down the scale of what is, let’s be honest, an enormous home. The spaces between structures became a series of exterior courtyards, patios, sitting areas, and dining areas … along with an outdoor kitchen and pool and pool house.

The path to the front door is marked by another series of walls and courtyards, beginning at the street, that lead to the autocourt, where you walk across another courtyard and reflecting pool to the front door.

Inside the home, the stone walls continue, before transitioning to a mix of limestone walls and floors, wood floors and modern steel-framed windows and rustic red cedar beams. Shared gathering spaces— living room, dining room, kitchen, etc.—dominate the first floor, each with access to the exterior. The second floor includes a zone exclusively for kids bedrooms and a playroom, that is distinct and apart from the master bedroom, but not so far away.

Why do I love it? The location, the style, the outdoor spaces, the indoor elegance … a butler’s pantry and a wine room?

You had me at wine …


 
One Kind Design

8 comments:

  1. I love the stone and that kitchen window, but I could also be quite happy with just the land, the pool, and that pool house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. You may have just found my dream house. And I may have just has a orgasm in multiples. This had me right from the first picture with all the stone, clean lines and linear black frame windows. But the inside is like the designer and architect picked my brain and did this for me alone. THIS IS SOOOOO ME!!!!! The kitchen and pantry hall along had me. STUNNING And a proper queen NEEDS a staircase to make an entrance. The mix of textures, colors, the lightness and the different stones.......

    WHERE DO I SIGN BABY????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yiu had me at ‘stone’ well and MANSION. But really. I find that stone/brick houses are kind of more my thing. I love the way the interior are set up and the colors they’ve used. Again that bathroom! I may have a bathroom fetish.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's lovely, but again I find myself asking, who is going to CLEAN this place?

    ReplyDelete
  5. O)h yeah! This is the one for me. I don't even mind that it's obscenely huge. Can you ship it out? You know, like a Sears house kit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swoon, the butlers pantry, I am in love,

    ReplyDelete
  7. @brewella
    Me, too. Maybe rent out the house and I'd live at the pool!

    @TDM
    It's very large, but just so beautiful.

    @MM
    That staircase is made for you!

    @Six
    The look, the design, the land, the pool, the stone, to location. Must have!!

    @Voenix
    I'll use that old chestnut, "If you can afford the house, you can afford a staff."

    @Mitchell
    That'd be SOME kit!

    @Travel
    Me, too; I could be happy just butlering in there!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......