Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Bennett Valley Residence


This gorgeous modern take on a farmhouse is on Bennett Valley Road in the Bennett Valley Appellation of the Sonoma Valley; wine country! This single-story dwelling is nestled among agricultural land and offers idyllic views of Bennett Valley Peak.

It pays homage to the modest beginnings of valley farmhouses through scale, form, materiality, and organization, while modernized with an abundance of natural light, high ceilings, open spaces and a strong indoor to outdoor connection.

The interior is defined by high vaulted ceilings, large aluminum windows and large sliders let in the light and the fresh air, along with the sound of the courtyard water feature. The courtyard focuses on the central oak tree, with care taken to trim and support branches. The glass cube entryway breaks up the private and public wings of the residence, with the living areas to the left and sleeping zone to the right.

It's simple, as an old farmhouse might have been, but does have modern luxuries, like four bedrooms and five-and-a-half bathrooms,  and a pool house …not quite your average farmer’s abode. But it’s a quick trip to wine country and then back to the pool and pool house for a lazy afternoon.

Ah, the life of the modern ‘farmer.’

Click to emBIGGERate ...

8 comments:

  1. These days, all I see is a future fire evacuation site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Deedles.
    It isn't too bad for a modern
    house. I had to laugh that you
    put farmer in quotes. My BIL
    is an actual farmer and he has
    one bathroom for him, his wife
    and 4 daughters.
    take care, stay safe, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could live there, the light fixture over the dining room table needs to be lower, ours is on cables and can be raised and lowered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy...if you change the scenery, it could almost fit into the Pines of Fire Island. I could live there...a bit rambling...but the courtyard has me sold on this one. And all the wine nearby to be consumed. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sign of the times, my first reaction was the same as Deedle’s. But I do love the place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deeedles
    These days isn't ALL of California an evacuation zone???

    @TDM
    I like the house, but I'm not getting "farm" vibes at all.

    @Travel
    It's a bit bigger than I like, but I love the setting.

    @MM
    The nearness to wine country is the biggest perk for me!

    @Mitch
    Sadly, that's California these days ... a tinderbox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That courtyard! I love it when they build houses in that configuration. I think having that outdoor/indoor living possibility is super refreshing.
    I also love all that light and I've discovered that I always look for the bathroom and the plants, when looking at houses. I'm weird.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:53 PM

    Perfect...When will the U-Haul pick me up...

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......