Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Architecture Wednesday: Patagonian Retreat


Oh, there are times when you just want to get away from it all, and this home, located on top of a mountain, in the “Region of the Lakes” on the Peninsula of Lonconaos Lake, in the Patagonia region of Chile, is just that spot.

This small, just about 700 square feet, modern, yet rustic cabin frames its main view towards the lake and the mountains and the view and everything else is forgotten.

The living room and the master bedroom are connected to a terrace above the lake, with a glass wall providing a spectacular view. The bathroom, and the other rooms, are at the back of the house, reducing the overall space and creating an ‘A’ form.

A backyard with an acrylic roof serves as access to the house via a metal door that works in two ways: the first is to protect the house in periods of storms, and the second is to give privacy to the bathroom since it has an open window that leads directly to the lake.

The sloping roof rises to create a loft which is accessed by a retractable staircase, which frees up space in the small dwelling.

It’s small, it’s in the middle of nowhere, but it really speaks to me.


4 comments:

  1. That really is a unique retreat. It is my style. I have never been to Patagonia, and I will probably never get there, but it is on my "list".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would need a strong fence around the property!
    Loverly spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can appreciate the design, but don't know I have the flannel picnic cloth and butch wear to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice place to visit but... I do like it, I just wouldn’t last very long.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......