Monday, September 18, 2017

Two More Examples Of How "Christian Love" Is An Oxymoron

Remember how we all saw the outpouring of Christian love after Hurricane Harvey battered Houston? You know, like when millionaire mega-church “pastor” Joel Osteen immediately opened up his church for victims of the flooding after people shamed him for ignoring those in need on social media.

And, as a sidenote, if you didn’t hear, Muslim mosques opened up during the storm and welcomed anyone who needed assistance. But, you know, Muslims, terrorists, they must have been training those homeless folks how to build bombs or something.

But this isn’t about that; this is about Carmen Nix, a Navy combat veteran, who began volunteering in any way she could; she donated $500 worth of food to the food bank at the Calvary Church in Friendswood, Texas, and then took a week off from work so she could assist folks at the church who had no place to go after the storm. And then, in a stunning display of Christian love, the Calvary Church “fired” Carmen Nix when they found out she was :::gasp::: Jewish and :::double gasp::: a lesbian.

After three days of volunteering, Nix was called into an office to meet with the church’s pastor, Ron Hindt, who asked why she said “Shalom” after every prayer. When she explained that she was Jewish, she was asked to leave and not return.

And she did, but she was still so stunned at what had happened she called the church later that day to tell off the so-called “Good Christian” Hindt, who stunned her further by inviting her to meet him. She agreed, but when they met she wasn’t given a ‘Thank you’ or an apology, but was grilled about being a Lesbian.

When Nix told the “pastor” that she and her partner, or twenty years, Christia Fiddmont-Norfleet, had raised two children together, the “pastor” simply said:
“We can’t let you represent our church, as being a lesbian is a sin.”
Carmen Nix posted the story to Facebook:
SO! I have volunteered for the past few days tirelessly, working at the food pantry at Calvary Church, as it is close to my house. Took a week off of work in order to do so. Donated over $500 worth of food to the pantry and showed up every day as I agreed. Hit my neighbors up for donations and delivered 3 cars full of donations.
TODAY, I was "FIRED" from volunteering because I identify as Jewish (discovering my Jewish heritage recently) and would not say that I was Christian when called into the "Principal's Office" by the Head of their food pantry. I called the church and let them know how I felt when I got home. Pastor "Ron" asked if I would meet with him at Calvary. I went. He also informed me that it was thought or it was rumored that I am a Lesbian, which is against their Christian beliefs.
In actuality, I was asked by one of the volunteers if I was in a relationship and I said, "Yes, I have been in a relationship with a woman for 20 years." I guess she took it upon herself to pass that little fact on to someone. I told Pastor "Ron" that when they called me to volunteer, they didn't bother to ask me to check or not check those boxes...Jewish and Lesbian. Told him...
"When you needed me, it didn't matter. Now that you're dwindling down the operation, it seems to matter."
He gave me the tired "blah, blah, blah" that Pastors have a tendency to do. "We can't let you represent our church, as being a Lesbian is a sin..." I let him know he should be ashamed to call himself a Christian. Long story short.... DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO ANY CALVARY CHURCH...THE ARE NATIONWIDE. UNLESS YOU FEEL THAT BEING JEWISH OR GAY DISQUALIFIES ONE FROM TRYING TO HELP THOSE LESS FORTUNATE THAN YOURSELF. (You know that Christian Mantra...do onto others...etc). Just sayin'...
After her story was posted, “Pastor” Hindt responded, though his message was soon deleted; luckily, Carmen Nix shared it with us:
THIS WAS POSTED ON THE CALVARY WEBSITE IN RELATION TO MY ISSUE:
"As you know, Calvary Houston has been providing assistance to those in great need in the community in the wake of Hurricane Harvey with a Disaster Relief effort. We’ve prepared and served over 40,000 meals, cleaned out many homes, and provided food and supplies to those who have suffered devastating loss. We are so thankful for the hundreds of wonderful volunteers that have come out to serve the community with us. Of course, as a church our ultimate goal is to share the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Recently, a resident of the community volunteered to serve with us and we wholeheartedly accepted her assistance. Honestly, the need is great in this area. We are so thankful for the many who have volunteered.
Unfortunately, we’re saddened by an incident involving some miscommunication that took place off campus in an exchange between various community volunteers at the church’s food pantry.
I met with the individual who was upset and apologized for the misunderstanding. (I apologize once again if you are reading this.) I invited her and her partner to sit with my wife and I in church this Sunday.
For the last twenty-six years, our heart at Calvary Houston has been to reach out and share the love of Christ to all people, regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion, etc. As demonstrated to our community for the last two weeks during the Disaster Relief effort on-site, this position has not changed.
Once again, I want to thank all of our volunteers, city officials, police officers, firefighters, first responders, and military personnel. You are the best! We love you!"
Carmen Nix says this is what actually happened:
“He invited my partner and I to come to his church and the spirit of the Lord would show me the evil of my ways and would change my hearts to realize that my 20 year relationship with my wife was a sin. Please let the Calvary Church know how you feel about my being fired as a volunteer and my contributions of time and money to his food pantry.
I guess the “Good Christians” at Calvary Church don’t want Jews helping, and don’t like lesbians volunteering either.

I wonder what Jesus would do ....

Down under in Australia, the battle for marriage equality is heating up, and the anti-equality folks are getting quite ugly. But this is vile because it comes from a Presbyterian church, Ebenezer St John’s in Ballarat.

Steven North, the “pastor” at the church, has cancelled a straight couple’s wedding because the bride-to-be spoke out in support of marriage equality in Australia.

The country is holding a postal survey to help decide if parliament will allow same-sex couples to marry, and the 26 year-old woman posted a message of support to the gay community; she said same-sex couples should be able to marry, and that same-sex marriage has no affect on her relationship with her soon-to-be-husband.

“Pastor” North wrote a letter to the woman as well, saying:
“[Y]our commitment to same-sex marriage opposes the teaching of Christ Jesus and the scriptural position practiced by the Presbyterian Church of Australia and by me. This conflict of views has practical consequences in relation to your upcoming wedding.”
The couple, who wish to remain anonymous, have decided to leave the church, and posted their letter to North online:
“We feel this decision is absolutely disgraceful and is a disgrace to you and all the church, especially when we have been loyal and valued members of this congregation for 10 years. You were made aware from the beginning of our proceedings that we had gay friends and also that people in our wedding party were gay. How could you assume that we would abandon them or degrade them with regards to same-sex marriage?”
I guess “pastor” North is all keen on The Gays coming to his church, or even taking part in a “straight” wedding if they fill its coffers with their coins, but he will definitely not be marrying any same-sex couples or any opposite-sex couples who are pro-equality.

And I guarantee that neither Hindt nor North can explain why people are leaving their churches in droves, leaving organized religion by the masses.

Maybe it’s the hypocrisy?

But, for those of you who believe ...

8 comments:

  1. h8ful bastards! organized religion is a cult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-( Blessing on Carmen Nix and her partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bastards.....they must remember what goes around will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's funny that Evangelicals are always trying to do what Jesus would do without ever knowing he would never, ever act like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd think they were purposely trying to give Christianity a bad name to us 'non-believers'. So well done, you're succeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raybeard, you're exactly right. They give us non-Christians absolutely no incentive to respect them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be distressing for true believers that so many bigoted Christians take no note of Jesus's exhortation to love one another

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad. Not unexpected, but sad.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......