Thursday, October 03, 2024

Bobservations

Some of you may remember the story of how we survived Hurricane Katrina in Miami—losing only the fence and part of the roof—and how that lead to our decision to move from Florida. But did you know that Carlos and I handle hurricanes differently? That Carlos falls asleep at the drop of as hat and I stay awake wondering if the house will fly away like Dorothy’s in The Wizard of Oz?

Well, as we waited for Helene to arrive I told a coworker about Carlos’s nonchalance regarding the storms and the day after the storm, when we were without power for over 14 hours, Carlos and I drove through Camden seeing what, if anything, was damaged or open or what. We ended up by my office and I noticed a couple of cars in the lot so we stopped to check and the guy I had talked to about Carlos’s hurricane reactions was there, and we started talking storm when the guy said to me:

“How did Carlos do during the storm? Did he stay awake?”

And before I could utter a sound, Carlos goodnaturedly shouted:

“I’m fucking blind! I couldn’t see a thing!”

So, that’s how he handled it.

This Tuxedo Memory if from April 2020 and entitled Things I Like #7:

A while back Maddie posted a series of posts about called Things I Like where the posts displayed Maddie’s home and some favorite things.

I took a look around the house and started with our sunroom and the plants Carlos has there, but then I came upon my absolute favorite thing …

Wasn’t he gorgeous?

I rarely go to Walmart but if they have cakes like that there, I may have to rethink my position on that store!

The great, and I mean The Great Maggie Smith—The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie to California Suite to A Room with a View to Tea with Mussolini to the Harry Potter films to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to The Lady in The Van to Downton Abbey—passed away last week at age 89.

RIP Dame Margaret Natalie Smith and thank you for the decades of entertainment.

The Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre in New York announced a proposed global settlement with hundreds of sex abuse survivors, who allege they were abused as children at the DRVC’s parishes, churches, and schools.

The settlement is based on DRVC’s parishes filing for bankruptcy, and it will halt a number of jury trials against the Diocese and its parishes. The law firm of Slater Slater Schulman served as a mediation party in the historic settlement, under which a trust will receive approximately $320.5 million for the benefit of survivors.

$320,000,000.00.

Oh, and then Pope Francis promised to “offer all the help we can” to aid clergy sexual abuse victims, after a group of Belgian survivors told him first-hand of the trauma that had shattered their lives and left many in poverty and mental misery.

Howsabout turning the child rapists into the authorities to have them prosecuted? Oh, but the shame on the church …

Fuck you, Francis.

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s marriage may be over, but fans still love Mr. & Mrs. Smith even if La Jolie does not. 

And she does not; Jolie was photographed autographing a movie poster for the 2005 action flick and seemed quite stoic about doing so, even averting her eyes from Pitt’s picture on the poster.

Oh Angie, you picked him …

Teo Toranzo is an Italian model, based in Brazil, who doesn’t shy away from an avant-garde photo shoot but the real issue is: Would You Hit It?

12 comments:

  1. $320.5 million? That's all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diocese filed bankruptcy and that "all" they have. If the Catholic Church would have these pedophiles arrested and charged ...

      Delete
  2. Maybe you can redirect Mr Cakes to Target, a much nicer place to shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find him and give him a Target Gift Card ...

      Delete
  3. The catholic church always comes short. They have cause untold pain to many, many people.
    And I was sorry about Maggie's passing. I watched Downton Abbey mostly to watch her chew on the scenery while dragging everybody with just a few words.
    And honey, if that's what they're selling at Wally World, I may have to rethink Target.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A lady down the road told me that Repugnants don't like abortions because they want to sell the babies off to the Chinese!" It's funny how all these lies are never backed up with a scintilla of evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides Tuxedo, the thing I noticed was the Norfolk Pine. Love those and we have one in our foyer that has actually managed to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie's had a little too much "work." Carlos hearing is evidently 20/20. I'll pass on Teo, I suspect his 4"10". Walmart sells everything... except cakes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s infuriating that the Catholic Church can get away with self-policing. And they pay no taxes. What organizations can get away with that other than crooked ones? Infuriating. Tuxedo WAS gorgeous. Ryan Fournier has no friends. What a liar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Walmart about a decade ago with Tim shopping for garden stuff. He was outside checking out plants while I was inside checking out pots, rakes, etc. And checking out the hottest older man I'd ever seen in tight jeans and flannel shirt. I think we were checking each other out since we walked up and down the same two aisles way more times than was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleora Borealis11:09 AM

    😻 Tuxedo memory! Gorgeous and knowing it! Had it...flaunted it...and still gave hugs...quite a little package was he!! 😻

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:31 AM


    the dog's mother
    (Carlos) (Tuxedo always)
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......