Thursday, November 04, 2021

BobserVacation

I finally got around to starting Chasten Buttigieg’s book, I’ve Got Something To Tell You, and was telling Carlos about it. I mentioned Chasten’s coming out to his mother and Carlos said:

“He just came out?”

“Yes. Chasten Buttigieg just came out to his mother, after marrying Pete three years ago, helping him become the first out gay man to win a presidential primary, and after having two children via surrogacy.”

It was then that I opted to put Carlos in the overhead compartment for our flight home.

Tuxedo didn’t say much of anything lately. All we got was this look for the after coming back home. He was not pleased to be left with a sitter, though she told us that he crawled into her lap every time she sat down, and went to sleep.

I saw these shoes on an attractive man while awaiting a flight and thought: Why? 

I tried to sneak a shot of his face to show you a handsome man who seems to be wearing Toddler Shoes For Adults!

Back at Chasten’s book, one of my favorite quotes is when he talks about growing up in very conservative very white Michigan:

“I was swimming in a sea of whiteness and didn’t even know I was wet.”

That began Chasten’s coming out journey and his thoughts of getting out of Michigan and seeing what the world actually looked like.

We ate breakfast between flights at a little café at the Dallas airport and saw a guy have an English muffin and scotch for breakfast at 8AM. Must be the new Continental Breakfast?

My father likes to order food through the mail—Omaha steaks and Pacific Northwest Salmon and such—and while we were out there, a package of Pho arrived. Pho, for those who don’t know, is a traditional Vietnamese dish, a soup, and is quite delicious. But I had a time trying to get my father and Carlos to pronounce it correctly: Fuh.

But the best part was Carlos trying to find out more about it by asking Siri on his phone, and listening to Siri say:

“Fall is one of the four seasons, generally starting in November.”

“Four is a number.”

That damned accent of his!

We ate lunch at a place called The Observatory in Portland and the food, and, of course, the cock-a-tales, were dee-lish … Carlos had a Lemon Meringue—Vodka and Limoncello—while I had the Hibiscus Margarita with Mezcal.

And the signs prove it’s the kind of place that fits the Keep Portland weird vibe and I’m here for it.

When my mother passed away, my father had her ashes scattered at sea, and this is the spot where that last journey began, so we stopped in for a visit, even though it was a cold and bluster day.

My father volunteers at the Oregon Coast Aquarium and always gets us free tickets to visit. The latest exhibit was all about fossils and evolution, but the work of Ray Troll, the artist who created some of the paintings, was what caught my eye. Gorgeous.

Oh, and stop using plastic because down there is what was scooped off the beach near the aquarium in just two hours. Take care of the Earth people. Stop using plastics and try a little recycling.

And of course we traveled down the coats, and up, and visited the sea lions in Newport and, always, stopped for a Dead Guy Ale at the Rogue Brewery.

That’s Billy, my Dad’s latest German Shepherd. He’s a rescue and was abused by his former owners so he’s leery of new people.

But, man, once you get to know him, and he gets to know you, he’s a loving pup.

We woke up on the morning we were leaving to find a text saying our flight to Dallas had been canceled. We dressed and got to the airport early; the agent at the desk was quite nice, though she tried to get us to spend the night and leave the next day. When we told her that wasn’t possible, she was able to get us on another flight, on another airline, that got us home four hours earlier than our original flight.

Very nice.

And on that flight out, a girl was seated in front of us—in hermid-30s—who had never flown before, and her joy and amazement at the takeoff and the view of the mountains out the window had me smiling the whole way home.

Well, at least until we got to Chicago to change planes. I loves me some Chicago, but I hates me some O’Hare Airport.

Cluster-followedquicklyby-fuck.

And that’s some of our trip, in a nutshell. It was great to go away—and we had not one single bad incident or Karen anywhere—but it’s always good to be home.

20 comments:

  1. My take away at this hour of the morning: I wish I liked alcohol. Maybe our last vacation would have been more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I have shoes like that, does that mean I'm handsome, too?

    Love sea lions.

    I agree with you on O'Hare, decades ago it wasn't bad, but now it just seems like a bad set from Blade Runner filled with way too many extras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to hug Billy to assure him that not all the world is hostile and, in fact, many of us are ready to love him. But that, unfortunately, would have to wait till your dad has done all the hard work needed to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only real continental breakfast comes from France with croissants fresh from the boulangerie.

    Glad you both had a good time with your Dad & Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back home, Bob and Carlos. Glad you had a wonderful time and thanks for sharing all of the photos. Dead Guy Ale is one of my father-in-law's favorites. It is on our to-do list to make it out to the Rogue brewery.
    My dad had his flight cancelled as well but he wasn't as lucky as you. We were happy that he got to spend another day with us but when he finally got on a plane they had mechanical problems which caused him to miss his connecting flight in Dallas and didn't get home until after midnight. All in all, about 18 hours to go from Boise to Peoria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a) those drinks looked amazing 2) there's a restaurant near where I used to work when I was traveling for the government called Pho King. Good soup, but their main product was the t-shirt. Glad you're home safe, and back to blogging. We're about to head out to Ireland for a week for business. Later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have scotch and an English muffin every morning. What's wrong with that?

    Seriously, glad you're back from what sounds like a swell trip! I love that photo of the seals sprawled on the dock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you home safe and sound.
    We've had some weather out here and
    I thought about you two. 4" of rain
    in SF for Brother and family.
    I'm sure Tuxedo will forgive you for
    going - eventually...
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great trip -- many fun anecdotes! But I think Tuxedo is mad at you, not because you went away, but because now you're back and his cat sitter with the comfy lap is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having worked in a very multicultural environment I loved your story about Carlos and Siri. What a hoot! And I also loved the sign on that bathroom door. Says it all really doesn't it - "just wash your hands"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome home dear!!
    Glad you and Carlos had a nice time.
    Is it not great to get away, clear your head, and have a change of scenery?
    The flight home was sweet.
    The shoes? Yes, he is cute but how old was he? No!! Hell No!!
    I love discovering non-tourist places to eat in a visiting local. Reminds me of a time when I was visiting Chicago and wanted a good burger. I was near the Michigan Mile. I asked a local and he pointed me to a side street and gave directions. What a great burger.
    We missed you!!
    Peace out! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Frank
    Bad vacations are the worst; they seem such a waste.
    Luckily, we had a joyous time.

    @Dave
    The shoes are a bit too Garanimal for Adults for me!
    Having to go through O’Hare was the worst part of the trip but it only lasted about 45 minutes so I’ll take it!

    @Raybeard
    Billy turned out to be such a lovable sweetheart. I curse the people that abuse animals; lowest of the low.

    @Helen
    It was a really nice getaway! Thanks.

    @Mr. Shife
    We always hit the Rogue Brewery when we are out there and I always start with a Dead Guy. So good.
    We did luck out getting another flight home, especially after watching the desk agent send a guy who was so incredibly rude away. We told her we had the same issue he did and she worked her magic to get us a new flight because, as she said, “You were both so nice.”
    I asked if we were nice enough to get bumped to First Class and she said No!

    @Joe
    The drinks were dee-lish; had we more time I might have tried a few others, but there’s always next time.
    My dad had a hard time with “Fuh” and maybe that shirt might have helped.
    Enjoy YOUR trip!

    @Steve
    I say more power to that guy, but scotch that early???Oh, no, no.
    The seals were funny and oh so loud.

    @TDM
    It was dreary out there, but that was okay, it’s still pretty. BUT ...the day we flew out was sunny and not a single cloud over Portland!
    Tuxedo has been sleeping in my lap all evening, so I think we’re forgiven!
    xoxo

    @Debra
    But now, with us home, he has two laps to choose from, though I imagine he enjoyed the thrill of a new lap!

    @Treaders
    Carlos and Siri have their own thing going on, and it’s beautiful, and it’s real!!

    @Victor
    It was nice to get away for a nice long, drama free, time.
    And the cute guy was far too old for the shoes! Oy!
    Carlos and I both love eating at local places, and this place was the best food and drinks we had the whole trip!

    @Boots
    Thanks, glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great trip. I was supposed to be there in September. Now I have a list of things to do! Oh, Carlos. I had a conversation like that with SG yesterday (wait... three conversations like that; I can’t even remember the subjects). Should have immediately written them down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! It looks like good times were had.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for vacays!
    Glad you guys enjoyed your time there.
    I liked that guy's shoes and your dad's doggie.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Mitchell
    It was a fun time, even with drizzly weather,
    Carlos slays me. Carlos and Siri really slay me!

    @Sadie
    It was a very nice, and needed, getaway.

    @Six
    The guy was cute, the shoes, to me, were kid’s shoes!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a delightful trip, welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you had a lovely time. Thanks for all the documentation... great pics and such a treat. Envy all of you travelling. Settle in and give Tux a kitty kiss. There's no place like home...

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Travel
    Thanks, it was nice, and needed!

    @upton
    This was our first of more than fifty miles from home in nearly two years so we were ready. It was nice to see my Dad and Oregon and Portland, all of my favorite things.
    Tuxedo is thrilled his daddies are home, as are MaxGoldberg, Consuelo, and Ozzo.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......