Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: Woolland House

Ah, the Woolland House … a stunning seven-bedroom home with artist studio, coach house, stables, greenhouse and cottage, sits on roughly 17 acres of exquisite private gardens, meadows and lakes within the Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Sounds heavenly … Woolland House is entered through a beautiful, cobbled courtyard, open at one side and with a fountain at its center. A contemporary, glazed atrium provides a walkway to the front entrance, offering incredible views through to the Great Hall and then out to the rolling gardens and fields beyond.

At its center is a double-height Great Hall with vaulted cathedral ceilings and hardwood parquet flooring. This leads into the western wing and an open-plan kitchen arranged around an island with an Aga cooker, a larder, a breakfast area, and glazed double doors to the dramatic rear terrace. Also within this wing is a large drawing room, study and utility room.

There are two bedrooms on the ground floor, along with two bathrooms, and four further bedrooms on the first floor, with three bathrooms between them. The Coach House is positioned on the eastern side of the house and provides self-contained one-bedroom accommodation over two levels. A separate annex is arranged over two levels and is divided into two one-bedroom apartments.

Once the home of the sculptor Dame Elisabeth Frink, the property still boasts her art studio, set apart from the main house and offering an enormous amount of versatile space over two levels. The beautiful grounds are home to a swimming pool, as well as trails that wind through tropical-planted woodland and open, green spaces dotted with giant redwoods and Lebanon cedars. At the base of the gardens is a lake filled with rainbow and brown trout, while closer to the main house there is a six-box stable and an Olympic-sized manège— an arena or enclosed area in which horses and riders are trained.

What a lovely B&B it would make, and it can be yours for just $5,735,375.00.

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

15 comments:

  1. I'd live in the coach house and do the B&B in the rest. Dream!
    Love the new/old feeling, too. And now I want that tub.
    I have discovered I have a thing for bathrooms. Don't judge me!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me so well dearest Bob. THIS is stunning...old world European charm with well done updates. Love the mix and balance of white, woods and texture. And stables!!!! Enough room for the houseboys! I could settle here and get reclusive in my dowager years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Like the kitchen.
    I'd probably get lost on the
    property!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, except for the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Six
    I’d take the Deco-looking studio building and then B&B the rest!
    I never judge bathroom love; I like a could bath, too!
    xoxo

    @Maddie
    Your “stable” of houseboys would do very well there!

    @TDM
    It might come with a map!
    xoxo

    @Dave
    I kinda like it; like bathing in a stock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love. Now THAT'S living! I could entertain there. And.. btw... this is the first home you have featured (that I know of) with a PIANO! Love everything about this place. I can't wait to mark it all up with footprints, fingerprints and scuff marks. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oddly, I love this house from the outside and not as much inside... although I wouldn’t turn it down. The exterior look was the look of my fantasy home when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @upton
    I will come visit and you can pay the piano for me!
    xoxo

    @mitchell
    I had those same fantasies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't I destined to live there? I would have to finish installing the kitchen, I really don't get the absence of upper cabinets in the kitchen. And add some Red for the Dutchess (anyone heard from her? Miss her?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Travel
    It is kind of picture postcard, isn't it?
    Duchess Deedles commented on Gloria's passing on my blog this week. I hope she's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm fine, dear Bobulah. Just mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted. I'm boring myself so no point in boring others :) I'm in the middle of my mourning months and I just lost a couple more friends so I'm letting myself feel and heal right now. Well, back to my cubby cave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do know that Woolland House is not far from the Cerne Abbas Giant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant and even closer to the home of the dreaded Blandford Fly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Deedles
    You know how I worry.
    Sorry for your losses, and take care of yourself.
    xoxo

    @Helen
    Well, there some interesting lawn art!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family live about five miles from that place - and Dorset really is a very pretty county. That kitchen is to die for (well the whole house actually) but I'd get palpitations thinking about how much that would cost!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Treaders
    I would B&B the heck outta that place, using every conceivable inch and cottage and guest house and main house as rooms to let; then I'd turn that Deco studio in our space and live there while running the whole shebang!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......