Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Stories of Pride: Pickup Truck Pride

There are just 590 people in Hulbert, Oklahoma so you don’t expect it to be a place for LGBTQ Pride celebrations, but this year, thanks to one man it is.

One straight man.

Cody Barlow is showing his support for LGBTQ Americans  by putting a rainbow, and this message, on the back of his truck:
"Not all country boys are bigots — Happy Pride month.”
And on Facebook, in a post that’s been shared 50,000, Cody talks about how he bought “rolls of brightly colored duct tape and ran them across my tailgate in the design of the pride flag, and added some mailbox letters”:
“This is important to me, not only because I have family and friends that are LGBTQ+, but also because countless people have dealt with hatred and judgement simply for who they are, and/or who they lovefor far too long. Obviously doing this isn’t going to change the minds of those who are intolerant, but hopefully it can help drown out the hatred with love.
I live in a rural area in Oklahoma, surrounded by small towns in every direction, and I’m sure this is not a very welcome message around here, but this is going to be displayed on my truck for the entire month of June in support of pride month.
I don’t think it is necessary to say, but for all intents and purposes I am a straight man that grew up here in Oklahoma. I love taking my truck mudding, going fishing, swimming at the lake, floating the river, and several other “country” activities.
It doesn’t matter what negativity I receive for supporting this. I hope that this can help even the slightest bit to encourage and support at least one person that needs it.
I hope everyone finds their inner strength to finally live life loud and proud without regard for the negativity of ignorant people.”
Oklahoma; freakin’ Oklahoma, or as I like to call it, because a lot of what comes out of their state government in LGBTQ bigotry, Oklahomo,

But now it’s a state where one young man in a small town, driving a pickup truck, has told the world that there isn’t just bigotry and hatred and intolerance in Oklahoma, there’s love and understanding.

Thanks for being an ally, Cody, especially a smalltown Oklahoma ally.

The march goes on … one pickup at a time.

10 comments:

  1. We will take all the support and allies we can get. Loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes bravery to stand up against bigotry in a place where there is a lot of bigotry - Cody Barlow for Governor of Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend who just moved to a small town in rural NC and got a job decorating cakes at a grocery store just posted (on FB) a photo of a fabulous rainbow cake she made and this caption: "Our rural NC location is getting pride cakes this year, and I don’t care who talks shit." I love it! She's a twentysomething cis straight white woman, recently married to a cis white man. People like her and her husband who are allies give me hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the rainbow cake had "PRIDE" emblazoned on the front, loud and proud! I'll bet some old FOX news viewers shopping at the local Piggly Wiggly won't know WHAT the fuck to think! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jennifer
    What a great story, and good on your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stories like these make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh for a world filled with Cody Barlows!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......