Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Stories of Pride: It's Not Just A Hug

Scott Dittman’s friend, Denna, told him she was headed off to Pittsburgh Pride with the LGBTQ support organization called Free Mom hg, and he decided to tag along. But first, he bought a t-shirt thatsaid:
“Free dad hugs.”
And he went along and wandered through the celebration; a celebration where some in the crowd, might have had fathers and mothers who disowned them for being LGBTQ. Dittman had no idea how much his shirt, and a hug, would mean to those who saw him, and to him. He posted his story to Facebook:
“I know that she saw me from across the street. I wasn’t paying attention. By the time she got to me, she had tears in her eyes. She stood in front of me and looked up at me, with a look of sadness and helplessness that I’ll never forget. She hugged me with everything she had. And I hugged her back. She held on for so long, melting into me, and thanked me endlessly. And I can’t stop thinking about her.
What she must be going thru with her family … the ones who are supposed to be there for her no matter what. Who does she go to when she needs advice on love, money or just life? Who does she share old memories with that only her parents would have been there for? What are her holidays like? How often does she hope for that phone call, with unconditional love on the other end?
I don’t know her story. But it doesn’t feel like a huge leap to assume she’s lost those who should love her the most and forever.”
The second person he hugged broke down in tears as well.
“He was kicked out at 19 when his parents found out. They haven’t spoken to him since. He cried on my shoulder. Sobbed. Squeezed me with everything he had. I felt a tiny bit of that pain that he carries with him every minute of every day. He was abandoned because of who he loves.
You could tell they hadn’t had something as simple as a hug from their dad in a long time. That broke my heart. It was an honor to be involved in that, but it was terrible at the same time.”
He concluded his Facebook post with these words:
“Imagine that, parents. Imagine that your child feels SO LOST FROM YOU that they sink into the arms of a complete stranger and sob endlessly just because that stranger is wearing a shirt offering hugs from a dad. Think of the depths of their pain. Try to imagine how deep those cuts must be.
Please don’t be the parent of a child that has to shoulder that burden. I met WAY too many of them, of all ages, today.”
Since sharing his story, Dittman says he’s been contacted by over 1,500 people. Obviously, many have been rejected by their parents for being LGBTQ, but he also heard from parents, who’d rejected their own children, but read his post and wanted to thank him for doing what they hadn’t done with their own children.

2019, and parents are still turning their backs on their children for being who they are, and yet a stranger has more empathy, sympathy, love and compassion.

The march really does go on …

10 comments:

  1. many xstains will NEVER accept their gay kids. thank the dogs and cats you had parents that didn't kick you to the curb, bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fearsome did a post on him.... I would take as many hugs as he was giving out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most LGBTQ children are rejected because of religious beliefs. These people don't understand God does not approve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loves and hugs to Scott Dittman!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm, I got something in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so touching. Brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He’s awesome. That’s a man, honey.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew how powerful that message would be. And, yet again, I have tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:50 AM

    This made me cry, both happy and sad tears. Happy because there are people like Scott Dittman in the world; sad for all the LGBTQ people who have been rejected by their parents. Thank you so much for posting this. Carol (Philadelphia)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'M not crying, YOU'RE crying.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......