Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: Desert Nomad House

Y’all know that sometimes I go for the big homes, but I really do also appreciate the small spaces, and the unique spaces. And this one, the Desert Nomad House, really fits the bill.

Architect Rick Joy designed and built this home in 2005 for an artist. It sits on nearly five acres of Arizona desert at the base of the Tucson Mountains and the Saguaro National Monument.

The house is composed of three separate rusted steel and glass cubes—each basically one room—with differing views of the Sonoran desert. There’s a 780 square-foot Great Room, with a bathroom, a 440 square-foot bedroom and bath, and a 200-square-foot office/guest room and bath.

Compact, and yet, with those views, it’s wide open.


9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous views, love the rainbow, but
    walking between rooms/houses -ak!!
    Hiking around here it is not unknown
    to pass two rattlesnakes on a walk -
    been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where's the kitchen? and look at the rainbow flag and all the cacti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This house belongs to a friend of my sister. She's lived in Tucson since the late 70s. We were lucky enough to visit this place while we lived there a few years ago. It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @AM
    The kitchen is against the wall in the first of the inside photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know how I feel about this one. I like the interior better....and I'm so not a dessert person. Contemporary is hard for me to warm up to. I appreciate the design though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve always had a fantasy about living in the desert. This one’s for me.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome. I like the setup with the three structures and the idea of making a house in the desert functional. Love the interiors. I have a thing for that quasi-Scandinavian look.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the insides but not the outsides. Maybe it's the desert setting. Put it in a forest and I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I want to be an artist there... well, bring it here.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......