Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: High Desert House


This house is giving me Flintstones-Jetsons-20,000-Leagues-Under-the-Sea-Jurassic-Park-Arachnophobia realness. I’m not sure I could live in it, but I couldn’t certainly take a stroll through it.  

The 5,000 square foot home on the edge of Joshua Tree National Park in California was imagined and created and built by San Diego architect Kendrick Bangs Kellogg.

It all began in 1986 when Kellogg received a handwritten note from artists Jay and Bev Doolittle:
"Dear Mr. Kellogg, My wife and I recently purchased a very interesting, though unconventional, building site in the California desert." 
Kellogg was intrigued, and upon visiting the couple and seeing their 10-acre plot nestled within a cluster of massive boulders in the middle of the desert, he took on the project. The Doolittle’s gave him carte blanche to do what he wanted and so he designed what is probably one of the most striking organic modern residences to date. 

Once Kellogg had completed the building, famed artisanal designer John Vugrin came on board, and spent the next 14 years … fourteen years … crafting all the furniture and decor.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, hell, it’s not really my cup of tea, but it truly is amazing. 

12 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but this reminds me of something from the original Planet of the Apes. A little too dreary and tarantulaish for my nontaste. To each their own. Speaking of which, the architect. Is that his name or is he making a statement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd need to hire a troupe of acrobats to
    clean it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if they have a problem with scorpions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deedles
    Gurl, you killin' me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope.

    What do you take me for Bob, Princess Leia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @MM
    Well, I said it wasn't everyone's cup'o'gin .....
    It's not mine either, but it's still pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the semi-cave-like-vibe.
    It's almost as if it's part of the landscape. I wonder what the energy blueprint would be.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. fascinating other than no where to hang the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This place has elements of Gaudi throughout, but there's too much concrete on offer for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rugs. Needs rugs. But 14 years? For furniture and decor? Really? Look at how rich and privileged WE are! Think of all the people they could have helped with THAT money!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5000 square feet??? No wonder it looks like a hotel.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been imagining Maddie in Princess Leia drag. So cute, with the cinnamon bun hair, or, even better, that metallic bikini! I'll be Jabba! Oh, wait. He's nekkid, isn't he? Never mind. Nobody's ready for me in the role, or rolls for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......