Monday, June 02, 2014

John Fennell Comes Out ... Sam Smith, Too

When John Fennell turned 18 he decided he would spend the next year, his first as an adult, documenting all the milestones in his life; and that year was a doozy. He was his high school Valedictorian, he began studying business at the University of Calgary, he moved out of his mom’s house, and last February he represented Canada in the luge at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. But there was one last milestone to document, to celebrate, to announce:

John Fennell is gay. And he’s done with the secrets, the lies of omission, the changing of pronouns in casual conversation so no one would suspect; no more hiding.
“It’s suffocating. You have to play this game of, ‘who knows?’ You can’t let off any vibes or secrets. You have to act super macho. You have to be hyper aware of your mannerisms and to not let off any vibes that could get detected. It’s very exhausting. It’s an all-consuming paranoia of who could find out through what means.”
So John Fennell is out, and hoping that by coming out he can be a kind of role model for anyone else who’s still hiding.

Welcome out, John, and I think that anyone who comes out, famous or not, athlete or not, can be an inspiration to others who struggle with living their truth. And so, as our gift to you, from HOMO HQ, please accept a copy of The Gay Agenda and the Obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven.

Use them in good health.

Welcome out, John, and send a welcome to …
British singer Sam Smith is set to release his debut album, In the Lonely Hour, and has decided to share with the world the inspiration behind the music, saying the album “is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn’t love me back.” 

Smith says he's had no problems with being upfront about his sexual orientation, but that the music isn’t just about same-sex relationships, it’s about any relationship.
“I am comfortable with myself, and my life is amazing in that respect. I’m very comfortable and happy with everything. I just wanted to talk about him and have it out there. It’s about a guy and that’s what I wanted people to know—I want to be clear that that’s what it’s about. I’ve been treated as normal as anyone in my life; I’ve had no issues. I do know that some people have issues in life, but I haven’t, and it’s as normal as my right arm. I want to make it a normality because this is a non-issue.”
And it is a non-issue; I think all people want is someone who’s good at what they do, athlete, singer, whatever, and their sexual orientation doesn’t matter one bit.

So, Sam, as with John, we here at HOMO HQ would like to give you a copy of The Gay Agenda and the Obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven, and we wish you great success with your music.

Welcome out, Sam, welcome out.

2 comments:

Say anything, but keep it civil .......