Thursday, June 26, 2014

Jack Thorne Comes Out

High school swimming star, Jack Thorne, who has two 4A state titles in the 100m backstroke and one state title in the 100m fly, with the Colorado 4A high school record in the 100m backstroke, has come out as gay hoping his story will help and inspire other gay athletes.
“I've spent months trying to figure out how to do this, when to do this and I've realized there's never going to be the perfect time to say what I want to say. But there's no time like the present.
I'm gay.
Some of you already know, and for some of you this may come as a surprise. Nothing has changed, I'm still the same Jack, the same Jack you race, the same Jack who you carpool with, the same Jack screaming for you on the side of the pool. This doesn't define me, I'm not gay Jack, I'm just Jack. Being gay happens to be one of many things that make me who I am, it's not what defines me and I won't let it define me.”
Welcome out, Jack. Being gay is not a definition of a person any more than being tall, or blue-eyed, or athletic. It’s just a piece of the puzzle of a person. But coming out as gay, that’s a big deal, and doing so in high school is an even greater source of pride.

Hopefully no one will define you as “the gay swimmer” but will instead think of you as a swimmer who is gay. It’s a subtle difference, yes, but it is a difference.

So, welcome out Jack, and please accept as our gift to you, from HOMO HQ, the Obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven and your own copy of The Gay Agenda.

Welcome out.
Read Jack's Coming Out letter at OutSports

2 comments:

  1. He can take the toaster oven to college. I have a feeling there is more swim team in his future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! The times are changing and faster than anyone could have ever believed only a few short years ago.....

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......