Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Architecture Wednesday: The Floating Farmhouse

I like rescuing things, pets mostly, but every so often you come across a house that has been rescued and become so much more than it was, and yet very much the same as it has always been.
The Floating Farmhouse sits along the edge of a creek, with a waterfall cascading over an ancient dam of hand-laid stone. The architect, Givone Home, declared the home a sinking ship when it first discovered, but after a redesign and a rebuilding process that took over four years, the almost two-hundred-year-old home, built in 1820, is now a study in contrasts.
It has been fully restored to its period grandeur and yet it features purely modernist elements, including a curtain wall of skyscraper glass in the kitchen, polished concrete and steel finishes, minimalist interiors, and a cantilevered porch “floating” on the surface of the water.
Like i said, 'Rescued.'
HomeDSGN

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 PM

    Bob, I wish you had Dwell magazine. I saw this in there about three months ago. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:57 PM

    I do tend to repeat myself.
    I want! I want! I want!
    I especially love that kitchen and that porch.

    Thanks for picking these out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I don't like floating houses. Specially the ones that are situated near a lake. There could be snake or crocodiles that can enter your home.

    buy keek like

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......