Thursday, May 16, 2013

Another Same Sex Wedding, Another Bigot Baker

Back in February, I posted about Sweet Cakes, a bakery in Gresham, Oregon, that refused to bake a cake for a lesbian couple's wedding. [See post HERE] That bakery is now being investigated by the Oregon Labor Bureau. Now, the bureau may have to add another Bigot Bakery.

Erin Hanson and Katie Pugh had planned to be married outside, near Mount Hood, overlooking the Columbia River. It seemed like the perfect place. And, it was all going to be perfect until the two women went in search of a bakery to design their wedding cake and were turned away because, yes, they’re two women! Getting married!

"I found a gal who was making gorgeous cakes," said Pugh. It was the perfect baker in the perfect spot—Fleur Cakes owned by Pam Regentin—just down the road from the wedding site. "I contacted her and we set up a time to do a tasting."

Katie Pugh and Pam Regentin scheduled a tasting, and it was then that Katie mentioned her partner, Erin, in passing. In a subsequent email, Pugh also mentioned a ‘she’ and that was when Regentin called to verify that the cake was for a same-sex wedding.

Pugh said Yes; Regentin said No cake for you!

Regentin was contacted by the media, and asked if she was aware that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation for a business that serves the public; she responded, "I believe I have the liberty to live by my principles."

Bigotry. Homophobia. Intolerance. Those kinds of principles.

I’m gonna spell this out again, so we won’t have any more trouble on this issue: :::ahem:::: If you don’t wish to own a public business and serve all of the public, please places signs in your windows letting folks know who is not welcome to use your services.

No Blacks.
No Jews.
No Muslims.
No Gays.

That way, everyone will know who the bigots are, and people who choose not to live a life of bigotry and homophobia and intolerance, can go to another bakery where the cakes surely taste better.

PS Aaron Klein, the asshatted douchebag who owned that other bigoted bakery in Oregon, posted this on his Facebook page:


source

10 comments:

  1. Call me gobsmacked but I'm surprised these incidences are happening here in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's occurred to me that these people might be turning away LGBT couples simply for the publicity that it generates.

    I don't think it should be illegal to be a bigotted asshat but I do think there should be repercussions. Eventually, businesses like this bakery will lose in the court of public opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:36 PM

    Since baking a cake for a LGBT wedding is against their principles then the sign should read:

    No one who has had sex outside of marriage.
    No adulterers.
    No divorcees.
    No one who doesn't go to church on Sundays.
    No one who doesn't believe in my god.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:55 PM

    What are they putting in the yeast at these places?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Bob:

    If it were me, I'd just say, "Thanks for the business. Enjoy!" I'm a bit pragmatic that way.

    I think the best approach is the one you stated, let a business put up a sign say who they will and won't serve and let people vote with their money. I guess that makes me "laissez faire" too.

    I get bit leery of any government butting in and dictating who a private business must do business with. This is a very gray area and is rife with possibilities for abuse.

    This is just my opinion for what it's worth. (That would be a fraction of a cent.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Sean R: the problem is that then you have anyone with any business claiming the same thing. When you go into business you have to know (and if you don't you are too stupid to be in business) that there will be people you don't agree with or like.

    If you want, take the profits and donate them to groups who you do believe in.

    What gets me about all these stories is that the couple didn't seek out GAY inclusive or owned or friendly businesses in the first place. Support the community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Other Sean: I agree with you.

    I was being a bit facetious, but it didn't come across well in written form. I wouldn't seriously want to see everyone's prejudices put out there. (That would get ugly.)

    Like you said, if someone isn't smart enough put aside their prejudices and avoid some of the obvious PR gaffes, they're not likely to stay in business for long.

    Cheers!






    ReplyDelete
  8. I am being incredibly dim, I must be missing the point.

    If I am in business refusing to serve people hurts the bottom line (which is what I am in business for, no?) and how does it hurt me to serve anyone, whatever colour, race, creed or sexual persuasion?

    As I say, it must be me being dim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thing that amazes me is those idiots love to brag about "obeying God's will", and the wonders of the "American ideal of freedom", but share the same ignorant, tyrannical, brainwashing mindset as every freaking terrorist group on Earth right now.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......