Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: The Palms Retreat

The Palms Retreat, a custom-built property in Venice, California is a 3100 square-foot, three bedroom, two and a half bath stunner built in 2010. Originally it was what might call a white box, with blond wood floors and stark white walls but it was thoughtfully redesigned by the current owner—and seller, it can be yours for a shade under $6M—to maximize warm, inviting indoor/outdoor living.

The newly refinished interior showcases an array of glass, wood, and steel across an open, sunlit floor plan. The expansive, floor-to-ceiling windows will leave you in awe as you gaze out at the private botanical gardens along both sides of the home. The solar/radiant-heated floors lead to a dining area where you can host groups big and small, with views on one side to the pool, and on the other to the outdoor kitchen, firepit sitting area and private hot tub. Also on the first floor are a sleek wood-clad gourmet chef's kitchen with eat-in nook overlooking the pool, pantry, powder room, and laundry room.  Upstairs are the 3 bedrooms, including the Zen-like primary retreat which features a private balcony and a wood-paneled bathroom with a sunken tub and rainfall shower.

Located in a prime Venice neighborhood it’s just a couple blocks from the shops, galleries, and restaurants on Abbot Kinney Blvd, and just a few minutes from the beach.

It’s like a resort for just you … if you have $6,000,000.

23 comments:

  1. Fascinating. Too much furniture and most of it is very bad. So, out it goes. Then there's that 'light' fixture over the dining room table. Why people feel the need to do such things, I don't understand. It's like an arts and crafts project someone made at boy scout camp. I like the bathrooms and one of the bedrooms. I actually like the house - but it needs to breathe and there simply needs to be less. The kitchen looks like a challenge, but could work. And the outdoor area is great... too much stuff, but could be lovely and refreshing with a bit of trimming and lighter furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it all very moody, which I love, and I love the garden because it's so busy and overgrown and lush.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised by all the greenery outside the windows. I remember Venice being a pretty urban area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden reminds me of our garden around our house in Miami; lush and tropical and gorgeous when lit up at night.

      Delete
  3. I like this one, except for that teepee type thing in the front yard, but that can be easily removed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:43 AM

    the dog's mother
    Feels very claustrophobic to me!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda suffer from claustrophobia and I don't feel that in this house because it's so open to the gardens.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This one is still a little too contemporary for me, but I love the mix of all the materials together. I'm sure I could probably live in the house, but what sold me the most? That lovely plant filled wooded outdoor patio. I would be living in that space. I also like how they redid All the bathrooms, also in various finishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wood and the dark walls and that primary suite Zen bathroom. And the patio that works along both sides of the open air dining room slays me.

      Delete
  6. I am trying to put my finger on it.

    I don't see cohesion, harmony throughout the home.

    Too many things going on. And what the hell is that tee pee thing doing in the front yard. The s'mores station is in the backyard.

    Let's take everything out and start afresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the teepee is for the kids ... it'd be the first thing to go when I count my coins and make an offer.
      I love a good moody house and a great tropical, lush garden.

      Delete
  7. I like the pool area and all of the outdoor stuff. I have to admit though, I see Black Widows hanging from all of the outdoor wood. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the spider. Indoors looks a little depressing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the teepee outside the house.
    And the house itself is fantastic. It's a good mix of modern and mid century inspired furniture. I like that it's not totally white but it does have room to breathe.
    The garden/patio are fab.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you go to the link you'll see photos of the house all white; it looks totally different and less moody and sexy!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I love all the greenery - very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in such a populated area but he greenery really makes you feel secluded and peaceful.

      Delete
  10. Not necessarily my style, but it’s a beauty. I used to love Venice. A bit overbuilt now, but you wouldn’t know it once inside this place. At 3,000 sq ft, we could split and share the cost. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could split it as long as I get the primary suite and Zen bathroom!

      Delete
    2. Deal! Go ahead and buy it. I’ll send you my $300 million right away. I’m good for it.

      Delete
  11. I'd add a touch of color, and lighten up some, but I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original photos at the link show it as very white inside but I like the darker tones, especially with the gardens.

      Delete
  12. Oops. I meant my $300 thousand. I’m so used to dealing in these big transactions. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......