Friday, February 24, 2023

Thanks

First off, thanks to all of you for your kind words and the cards that arrived for us this week. You will never know how much Carlos and  appreciated your love for Tuxedo … and how much Tuxedo loved it, too; after all, he was, if nothing else, the center of our universe.

I think, for me, the hardest part of losing him is going through that first week or so after they’ve gone, and the little things that remind you of the loss. We had done the grocery shopping and returned home;  pulled not the garage and got out to open the door into the house And the close the garage door so Tuxedo couldn’t make a dash toward the yard. He wasn’t there; there was no reason to close the garage door, but I swear I saw him sitting in the doorway to the kitchen like he always did.

This week we had our deck replaced and Craig, who has done work in and out of our house since we moved here, was outside working. And he asked about Tuxedo, because Tuxedo always came out to watch what Craig was doing, or to sit in a windowsill and supervise the project.

The best, or worst, time of all, was one night while watching TV, I went into the kitchen for some peanuts and as I was filling a dish, I saw Tuxedo behind me. He never ate peanuts, we never offered him peanuts, but for some reason he was there and I was crying … again. It took me several days before I could say his name with welling up.

The tears are subsiding, though they are falling right now as I write this because, as you can see over there on the left, we have lost a number of cats over the years and I am now remembering them all. On the bottom row we have Spunky and Voncie, who both passed of cancer in 2005. That’s Thomas, all by himself because he was a huge cat, who also passed in 2005.

The next row up is Scruffy, the tabby, and Lady, the black and white cat; Scruffy died in 2006; he was the old man of the house and when he left us, Tuxedo took that role until earlier this month. Lady, Voncie’s sister, was seventeen when she passed in her sleep a few months after we moved to Camden in 2008. Sweety, another gray tabby who totally lived up to her name, died of old as well, just a few months after Lady. We adopted Tallulah—who looked a little like Voncie—after moving to Camden and had her until she passed from feline leukemia in 2012. We didn’t lose another pet for ten years when MaxGoldberg left us in 2022, and then Tuxedo followed seven months later.

The reason I post about these losses is because of a beautiful quote posted in a comment by Mr. Shife about Tuxedo:

What a wonderful tribute to The Great Tuxedo. I thought of this quote when I was reading this, Bob, and I hope it helps you and Carlos with the healing process.

"It came to me that every time I lose a pet they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new pet who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be pet, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”
Take care.’

I like to think I have each of their hearts with me and they all have a large piece of mine.

18 comments:

  1. Oh yes, what a beautiful and perfect quotation! Well found, Mr Shife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quote, and so fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful quote. Grief comes and goes until the memories are uniformly sweet and not as painful. Time is the healer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Losing a pet is always such a terrible time, the loss is sometimes overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of cats. Your house must feel so empty now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post alone is a more than worthy tribute to your (and our) dearest little Tux, whom we earnestly thank for enriching so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful statement by Mr. Shife. As I looked at the photos while reading the post, I was thinking, ‘Look at all that love.’

    ReplyDelete
  8. aussieguy8:30 AM

    We have a plaque with that quote in our house. Whenever I look at it I think of all of our dogs who have been with us, and are still with us, in body or spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing I have learned over the past few years is that the grief we feel over the loss of a loved one (human or animal) is truely the last gift that we have to give them in their absence. So much loss and yet so many beautiful memories that are now a part of us for all time. Love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loss and grief are what we pay for being empathetic. Time doesn't heal wounds but makes them less raw, but our ghosts haunt us forever. When our first cat died I kept hearing her running up the stairs. I'd look up and there'd be nothing. People and pets; we honour them in our remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a year and a half since we lost our beloved Benni and occasionally, out of the corner of my eye, I'll glimpse a black sweat shirt on the floor and it's Benni lounging as usual. They are with us always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (Bob and Carlos)
    Very best of wishes and loves.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the sorrow losing my two cats; there is no sorrow like it. I am glad people rallied and gave you love and comfort at this sad time . Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:43 PM

    Uff, you've got me crying again. But what a beautiful and apt quote. I know Tuxedo will be putting in a good word for you in pet heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH you guys I am SO sorry. I've put down two cats and I cried and cried for WEEKS! It is so heartbreaking because these little critters just love you so completely and bring so much love into our lives. I now have a 16 year old shih tzu who is blind and deaf and just the thought of putting her down kills me. Sending you both lots of love the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quote, great cats, and... great cat owners! My heart to you. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to read this. I'm just now catching up on your blog after my trip so I'm late to the news. Again, so sorry. I know Tuxedo was a huge part of both of your lives.

    As painful as it is, it's also beautiful to look back on all our past pets and the memories they bring. Animals just don't live long enough. :(

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......