Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Suspension House

Much like a more modern Fallingwater, the Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece, this ultra-modern three-bedroom, three-bath plus guesthouse California remodel is suspended between two hills, spanning a creek, with a waterfall in the backyard.

In this part of California, it is no longer legal for homes to be suspended over a creek, so the architects followed strict guidelines on how to use the existing structure as the basis for design and have the new home follow the exact outline of the existing house and decks. Rather than bearing down and disturbing the creek below, the new structural system has been anchored to the bedrock within the flanks of the hill, suspending the home completely over the water. By opening sight lines and using transparent materials, floor-to-ceiling windows, see-through floors, and open-concept outdoor spaces such as floating staircases, the natural water features are visible from the front and back of the house.

The remodel retains 50% of the existing wood structure, a steel frame was inserted beneath the original floors and now anchors the home to the rocky hillside, allowing for the removal of supporting columns from within the creek bed; this new support system is exposed on all the floors.

The first two floors follow the existing house, but the new third floor rotates 90 degrees to better relate to the site and views; this shift also breaks up the mass of the structure, giving it some height, while differentiating itself from the lower floors. Atop a steel frame, the roof—like the home itself—hovers, creating a dynamic space with lots of natural light.

And before y’all come for me, I know it’s not Fallingwater; it lacks the warmth of that house. This one is very sterile and very hard, but it is a sleek ultra-modern cousin of the FLW original.

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

30 comments:

  1. Oddly appealing. One of these things doesn't belong with the other. And then there's that outhouse added on... it has all the warmth of a corporate conference room... but - I would live in this one in a heartbeat. Seems fun. Cold. And too exposed. I guess I would hide in the outhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on about the "out" house; it doesn't fit with the main space.

      Delete
  2. Too monochromatic, and definitely not dog friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same Dave. And I just know I would feel uncomfortable having all those windows!

      Delete
    2. I think it's location is secluded enough, so the windows don't bother me, but, yeah, very sterile and in need to color.

      Delete
  3. With earthquakes in the news, that is all I could think of while looking at this house. Precarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it gently swings during the rumblings????

      Delete
  4. The bones are stunning, I think. This could very easily be made less sterile and less hard with art and furnishings. But, oh my god, it IS sterile, hard, and so uninviting. Let me (or us) at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are wishes for no earthquakes or fires.
    I'm sure someone will really enjoy it.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it's seriously hooked into the ground and doesn't start swinging during a quake!
      oxo

      Delete
  6. Thank you BUT no thank you!!

    When you buy a home you buy it for the bones/layout. Then you fill it in with your style.

    The hard surfaces are to harsh, cold, stark and uninviting.

    Reading what it took to get to the finished product, let's just say some folks just have too much damn money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's harsh, but I think some color, some art, and a few cats might make it fun!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous12:01 PM

    I wonder how the house is faring given the epic rain we've had in California, even SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd hate to have the creek rise when you're living right above it!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Slung down in a ditch house!

      Delete
  9. Y'all can come for me....but I love this!!! I have been to Fallingwater and this is more me....and I like this one better. I love all the black and white....and I love me lots of Windows. This is spectacular. And the land and the views a line. The lines of the exterior are so cool looking. Im so ready to be minimal !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said, but it does need an infusion of color and art.

      Delete
    2. I agree about the color and hanging some art, problem is it doesn't appear to be many walls to hang art, lol!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful! But too much glass for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the seclusion of the site helps make the windows not such a big issue for me.

      Delete
  11. I think the integration with nature is what makes this one a winner. I love that they did not disturb he creek! And I don't mind the windows in a place like this. There's no neighbours checking to see if you are wearing a thong today.
    California? I'm weary of the location, but I love the house. You know me and how much I like deceptively simple buildings.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the way the house sits, the open windows aren't an issue; but man, if any place ever cried out for color, this is it!
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. A house built ove4r a creek between two hills? Even with foundations sunk down to bedrock it's an easy "Oh Hell No!" for me, sweetpea! i've seen sweet, meandering creeks turn into raging waters moving boulders, trees and everything and anything in its way! Life in California has become precarious enough with out tempting fate by living in, albeit a gorgeous, home like that! I'll take the flats anyday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... like the idea, but, especially fire country, flood country, earthquake country ... well, I just hope the builders planned for every contingency.

      Delete
  13. Definitely not for me. One small earthquake and it's gone! And I wouldn't want to be cleaning that many huge windows either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it. I would have to really trust the engineers to own it. And I would add some furniture. And a red wall or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the color; it's screaming for some.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......