Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: Shipping Container Penthouse

It’s not everyday that a shipping container home appears on the market and it’s almost never that the shipping container home is in New York City, so that makes this two-story penthouse particularly noteworthy.

Sitting high above West 31st Street in Midtown Manhattan this home was , it was designed by local firm LOT-EK, who repurposed a 20-foot shipping container into the home’s main bedroom.

And even though it’s a penthouse, it’s not a grand space, measuring just 860 square feet. But the home is made up of two distinct parts; the lower level is the open floor plan public spaces, with details like concrete walls, exposed pipes, and steel doors that pay tribute to the home's past as the building's mechanical room. There are also expansive windows, including a large bay window on the southern wall.

LOT-EK expanded the property by setting a shipping container atop the lower level which contains the primary bedroom and a multifunctional loft area.

But one of the best parts is the outdoor spaces, the gardens, and the up-close view of the Empire State Building.

It was listed for $995,000m but sold for more than $1.2 million.

Still a steal.

Dwell

9 comments:

  1. I love this. And, imagine, only 1.2 mil...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. What a great idea. Although...as a former president of an NYC co-op board, I'm trying to imagine the internal politics involved in getting permission to put a shipping container on the building's roof!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A ladder to the second floor?
    Nice outside area.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should all be so lucky. I can't imagine living in such finery. Truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful but way out of my league. Maybe in my next life when I am world-famous basset hound photographer or a professional basset hound cuddler. Can you tell I have basset hound fever? I was owned by basset hounds for more than 30 years before Ms. Frizzle came along. I think I need one. This is what happens when you don't drink all month. OK. I am rambling. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, if I want to live in a city, I will move into that in a heartbeat!!! I love it! Everything about it. And when I am tired of nyc, does that mean I and the whole place can be shipped to Buenos Aries????

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Six
    I'd live on that terrace and that view!!
    xoxo

    @Mitchell
    Not a bad price, really.

    @Steve
    Plus they turned a mechanical room into living space and THEN put a container on the roof!!

    @TDM
    Yeah, I need a rethink on that ladder!
    xoxo

    @upton
    It's not terribly large but I am dying over the outside space!

    @Mr.Shife
    Start that Bassett Photography business and save your coins and then...one day???

    @Maddie
    I like your thought process: pick it up and set it on the roof of a building in another city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, the "stairs" could be challenging. And the price, makes DC look economical

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......