Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: 19th-Century Victorian

In Denver’s beloved West Highland neighborhood, a rare historic home has just hit the market. The completely restored one-hundred-plus-year-old Victorian estate is the personal home of Anna Slade and her husband, Isaac Slade, lead singer of The Fray. They have lived in, treasured, and renovated this home for over a decade, and it brims with unique details, history, and one-of-a-kind character and can be yours for a smidge under $3M.

Designed by William Lang, and built in the late 1800s, the home was completely restored by the Slades, who took extra care at every turn, even reinforcing the entire underlying structures without compromising any of the original architecture. The iconic red brick exterior and colorful trim are a reminder of the era’s classic style. The Slades’ eye for design, artistic touch, and passion are evident throughout the three-story home, which comes complete with a well-appointed basement and hidden speakeasy.

Just off the foyer is a conversation room, warmed by a fireplace adorned in tile what was salvaged from the original hearth. Within this room and through an ornate wooden door, a private reading nook nestled into the turret of the home. Beyond that is a back parlor, the dining room,  and the library. The large kitchen, laundry area and sunroom fill the back of the house, while upstairs four bedrooms—including a stunning primary suite with turret bathtub—and three baths.

The lower level, which comes with a separate entrance, is a dream come true for musicians, or anyone with a knack for entertaining; this part of the home includes a speakeasy-style lounge complete with a built-in bar, double sink, glass chiller, and ice machine.

You had me at speakeasy …

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, but not my ideal. I'm a more modern guy. (Despite my own rented flat in a 1915-ish house!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see they took such
    care in renovating an old
    house!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love older homes and I really like most of this one. Nice working kitchen, and the backyard is really nice. I could do without that busy wallpaper, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of all the furnishings, but this house is to die for. That lower level! My dream come true. How amazing. Thanks for finding this... I had no idea such things actually existed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you get a chance, you might want to check out Molly Brown's home, also in Denver. It has been renovated but not updated, and is now a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Victorians Grand spaces. Beautiful woodwork. But I clearly don’t share their design tastes and wouldn’t have made many of the choices they made. No offer forthcoming from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:12 PM

    I can almost hear Judy Garland singing "O'er the bannister..." On that staircase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This home is not really me, but I have to say I love the dining room and the kitchen. Parts of this house actually reminds me a lot of my aunt and uncle's Victorian they had in Westfield NJ. But it was a bit bigger with 6 bedrooms. Especially the wainscotting in the bathrooms, the hardwood works and the tubs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Steve
    Me, too. I can admire the house, but I'd like something slightly newer!!

    @TDM
    So many times these old houses are gutted, and it is nice to see this one is saved.

    @Sadie
    The kitchen is fabulous, and I, too, am not a wallpaper fan.

    @upton
    I'd like some modern furnishings and art to offset the ornateness of the home.

    @Dave
    I'll look for it.

    @Mitchell
    Buy it and I'll design it for you! I see catwalks everywhere!!!

    @Anon
    Nice ear!

    @Maddie
    I love that back parlor and the kitchen, myself, and could probably live quite happily in those two spaces!



    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bob,

    Saw the picture and said, "Wait a minute, I know this house!"

    I live about 15 minutes from this home. Seen it many times driving around the Highlands neighborhood. I knew a gay couple who lives just around the corner.

    Nice home. Nice neighborhood. It has changed over the years and is what I call a yuppie place to live. It's about 5-10 minutes West of downtown Denver and Union Station-the train station-big remodel for it. I'll use a common word to best describe the area-gentrification.

    Great choice.

    Happy New Year to you, Carlos, and the kids.
    XOXO

    10:00 PM

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Victor
    HNY!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......