Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Aunt


My aunt passed away from cancer yesterday.
I know now she is cancer-free.
I know now she isn't in pain.
I know now she went in her own home and
not in some strange hospital room.
I know now she is peaceful.
She was diagnosed not too long after my mother died of cancer.
And now, she's left us just a few days shy of the anniversary of my mother's passing.
So I'd like to think that she and my mom are chatting up there,
telling stories and laughing about the brothers they married
and the kids and grandkids they had.
About the lives they had.
This song was written by Karla Bonoff, sung by Linda Ronstadt.
Makes me weepy hearing it.
But it's for my aunt, and for my mom, and for all those I've known and loved
who are no longer here.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your aunt. Cancer is a terrible diease. You will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a profoundly beautiful song. What a wonderful tribute. There are dear ones I can't let go of no matter how I try and think of them several times a day and have dreams of almost every night. It's been 20 years now, and I still cry regularly over the love of my life.
    My heart goes out to you Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you and your aunt. I so hope that now we have our heads on straight about stem cell research that there might be a cure found, for cancer and other diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave: Thanks. I appreciate the sentiment.

    Charlie: That has to be one of my favorite songs of all time.

    FP: Hopefully we'll see some changes in scientific research regarding cancers and such. it'd be a nice tribute to all those that have been lost to cancers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw Hon...I am SO SO sorry. Cancer is sch an ugly word and such an ugly thing. all it does is take and take and take.

    Lots of prayers and hugs to you Bob. Love you.

    XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. You honor your aunt and mother with your beautiful words and kind spirit.

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. A beautiful passage above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing and the song are beautiful tributes to your aunt and your mother. My condolences for your loss.

    I hope so, too, about stem cell research. I'm a cancer survivor and know what the treatment does to people. It's kind of a good news/bad news experience.

    Hugs, Bob! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......