Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Black House Farm

This is Black House Farm; it’s surrounded by protected forests and fields within the South Downs National Park, close to the village and country estate of Hinton Ampner and the town of Alresford,. Now, most of you may not need to know that, but one of you may be so enchanted by the mix of old and new that you’ll travel to England just to see this house.

The original home is a meticulous renovation of a Grade II-listed 17th-century farmhouse and the conversion and modernization of the 19th-century threshing barn into a modern home. The combination of the old and the old-turned-new is as amazing house set on almost 20 acres.

To reach the house one must travel along a secluded woodland lane which ends in a private driveway with a plant room, garage, and parking space for several vehicles. From this vantage point you face the original 17th-century farmhouse, unable to see the modern black mass behind it.

The farmhouse is thatched and composed of flint walls of oak framing and hand-made red brick, all of which was repaired by local artisans and craftsmen to retain every inch of character; the only new part of the farmhouse are the new hardwood windows, a few spots of lime plastering and oak repairs.

The same care was taken inside the old house, where new oak doors have been handmade in traditional methods and the wide-board oak floors were repaired as needed. The home is three floors, with five bedrooms, two bathrooms, a guest cloakroom at ground level, and a stone-floored entrance with an inglenook fireplace and working bread oven as its central hub.

To the right of the entrance is a nearly 100-foot-long hallway that leads into the former threshing barn; the floor shifts from original, centuries old clay tiles to polished concrete with underfloor heating that runs through the entire home.

This single-story structure connects the historic buildings creating one magnificent home around a central courtyard. Inside the renovated barn you’ll see the timber cladding and old beams of the original structure set against black corrugated sheet steel over the high-pitched roof profile.

In this new section are the primary bedroom along with two more bedrooms each with its own bathroom, a cloakroom and a studio/study with full sliding doors looking out over a wildflower meadow and to the forest beyond.

The newly built section of the home wraps around the courtyard lawn moving from the atrium, with a large kitchen and family room beyond,  to the living room, where huge sliding doors open onto the enclosed garden.

From the atrium is another section of the barn, where the ancient beams are exposed, featuring the kitchen, dining room, and a sitting room. Enormous windows and a towering glass door flood the interior with light from three sides while framing views of the surrounding greenery.

The home sits in acres of wildflower borders and tall rye grass meadows, ideal for cultivating vines or fruits, bordered by an historic, protected and actively managed evergreen forest. There are tree-lined meadows to the north and another wild meadow to the east past the orchard garden and ending at a swimming lake fed naturally by rainwater.

It’s an amazing home, a monster of a home, but it mixes the centuries old way of living and then moves into a very modern space filled with light and incredible views. I’d maybe live in the new part and rent out the old as a B&B.

If I had £6.25M or $7.5M USD handy …

As always click to emBIGGERate …

28 comments:

  1. That house has no soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find a great deal of soul in the old house, and in the new house, with the original roug hhewn beams and the coffered ceilings; not to mention the views.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Dave R. ... There is nothing cozy nor warm about that place! Brrrrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of rugs, some nice art, new furnishings, and the place comes alive.

      Delete
  3. What soul it once had was completely sucked out by the modern addition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the juxtaposition of old and new, and love that they didn't try to modernize the old section.

      Delete
  4. I disagree. It is beautifully done and leaves so much space to make it what you want it to be. And for 7.5 million it is a bargain compared to comp housing for sale with that much space. My boyfriend looked at a one bedroom in a high rise recently, only 1300 sq. ft. and had a price tag of 13 million. No, we did not even consider buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make the space your own.

      Delete
  5. The black box-like additions don't appeal to me. Sorry , Bob, I'll pass on this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I love the modern black boxes next to the old building; they play off each other, to me.

      Delete
  6. Cleora Borealis10:53 AM

    Oh, I really thought you had me at "secluded woodland lane." And, usually, I am begging for more space and light. I now see it is possible to have too much of both! I don't feel cozy anywhere here....pass! 🥺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very large space; the modern section by itself, and the old section.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:14 AM

    the dog's mother
    Nice that they saved the old house.
    We were in England once but we
    camped. Would have liked the
    bathrooms...
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they didn't futz with the old house!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. I'm surprise at how much I love this place. The old is spectacular. The new is fascinating. It all just needs someone to fill it with warmth, art, and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "...surrounded by protected forests and fields within the South Downs National Park" --- "To reach the house one must travel along a secluded woodland lane which ends in a private driveway"--- You drew me in with those descriptions. But you have lost me. I love that they have saved the old house. I suppose, as I have always said, if I buy the house all the furnishings will be moved out and I can had my touches. Yes, a little more color and warmth. Nice home to be in home confinement-i.e. no heart/warmth/soul. The mix of the modernism and the old is perplexing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always add warmth and heart and soul, but the spaces are wonderful, with the old ceilings, and all those views to the property.

      Delete
  10. The exterior is just wonderful, the interior, a bit too 'woody' for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both the old and the new, but need a little color and a lot of art pieces in the modern half!

      Delete
  11. This leaves me slightly conflicted in that I love that the old house was saved and nothing drastic was done to the interior, but the addition flummoxed me! While it reuses and updates the barn to modern sensibilities and embraces the outdoors, I'm not sure I can deal with the juxtaposition so abruptly from old to new. Perhaps it's just the coldness of the decoration, or lack of it, that stimies my complete admiration. But, nonetheless, it ain't like I've got the moolah to even consider a purchase, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I like best ... stepping across a threshold hundreds of years old into a brand new modern space.
      And I am short a few million coins myself.
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. I love the contrast between the very old and the very modern.
    It's a fantastic combination that we don't see often. I find there's a ton of wood (it's the only time I think there's such thing as 'too much wood', btw) but that is probably what does not let it be too sterile.
    I'd add some color with artwork and cushy furniture and I'd be ready to move in. Well, once I can get my hands in some millions...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are on the exact same page!
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. It's a bit spartan on the inside and cold looking (although I suppose they've got under floor heating). But I absolutely love the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine with that much hard surface floor there'd better be underfloor heating. I may have to have that checked during inspection.

      Delete
  14. Needs a little color inside, but I could make that work, we would need Brabinger to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's in a beautiful place. Now it needs to be warmed up with rugs and color and comfortable furnishings. As it is, I don't care for it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......