Wednesday, November 08, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Wystrach-Adams Residence

The last member of the famous Lloyd Wright dynasty, Eric Lloyd Wright, FLW’s grandson, is known for leaving his own personal mark on the modernist doctrine he grew up with, introducing emotion and sculptural eccentricity.  Though oftentimes the American modernist movement of the 1990s is overlooked, the Wystrach-Adams Residence, an Eric Lloyd Wright design, is at the forefront of this avant-garde natural compound in the lush hills of La Crescenta.

The home, built in 1992, is enveloped by a mountainous panorama, which inspired the curved lines found in both its exteriors and interiors. From the outside, what immediately catches the eye is the rounded roof, which juts out over the two levels of the home. Large balconies and uninterrupted glass windows anticipate what represents one of the cornerstones of the project: its connection with the surrounding nature.

On entering the home, visitors are greeted by a monumental double-height space sculpted in concrete, where not only the walls, but the staircase, the furniture and the large skylight, are gently curved. Most obvious a double-height concrete oval fireplace, which appears to “direct traffic” between the different rooms in the main level.

The home is crafted of wood, concrete, marble and cortex steel, with an abundance of bright copper accents and vibrant tiles; in addition, custom-built furnishings embrace the shapes of each room. Vaulted ceilings and exposed beams—always curved—provide the backdrop for glass doors, windows, and thirteen skylights to allow the light to take center stage. There are four bedrooms and four baths, with a large basement, spread out over 4600 square feet.

Added to this are almost 11,000 square feet of garden—with cedars, mulberries, pines and flowering trees, with a koi pond and a cascading fountain. There are three decks with built-in benches that stretch out into this exuberant natural oasis, as well as an ADU [accessory dwelling unit] with kitchen bath, living area and bedroom.

The home remains in its original, meticulously maintained but includes upgrades like 13 Velux replacement skylights with automatic solar blinds, waterproofing to the main and ADU roofs, fully owned permitted solar, EV charger, LED lighting throughout, and more. It recently sold for over its $3M asking price.

Talent seems to run deep in the FLW family …


As always, click to emBIGGERate …

28 comments:

  1. Oh, you had me at that staircase, Bob! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with the skylight above it!! Lovely!

      Delete
  2. I could live there, a little softening, an replace the kitchen counter tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go back and look at the counters and, yes, that is some 90's granite!

      Delete
  3. Let me grab my checkbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I got commission on the sale!

      Delete
  4. I love the lines and the angles and the light. Exterior doesn't dance the way the interior does, but I wouldn't turn this down — if someone would ship it to Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that some of the rooms don't seem to match the curving grand spaces in other parts of the house, but that yard? Gimme!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:56 AM

    the dog's mother
    I like the pond!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd live in the backyard!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Love it! Except for the monstrous fireplaces ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually kinda like the fireplaces; they look like ancient temples to me.

      Delete
  7. I want to love this without any compunction, but it's just not there for me. (Not that I have the money to even consider purchase, but you know what I mean, I hope) Anyway, there are elements that are extremely pleasing, but on the whole I lack the imagination to see a more pleasing, to me, interior. It's one of those "I know what I like when I see it" moments, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; parts I just love, but other parts don't seem to fit. And yet I live for that skylight and staircase and garden.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Where's the booster button for take off of this flying saucer????? I appreciate the design inside, but this would make a much more awesome Museum space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gigantic skylight and the gardens have me sold!

      Delete
  9. It has a a very nice interior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the inside, but love the outside.

      Delete
  10. An interesting property for sure. Not to my taste, but I can see the beauty in parts of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; parts are stunning ... that huge skylight and the gardens, while others don't impress me much.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. The garden and that foyer sold me!

      Delete
  12. Love it.
    You know how I love those materials. And he does not do what FLW does and kind of makes the spaces soar. FLW feels sometimes crammed with detail to me.
    I love the gardens, too.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FLW, the original, liked controlling the spaces and usages of each space, not that I mind, but it left no choice up to the owner.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Prison chic? Did somebody own pet jaguars or something? There seems to be a gigantic cat scratching post for really big felines. Probably just my eyes. This doesn't do a thing for me, but nothing does nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd take the big felines, too!

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......