Tuesday, January 25, 2022

After Yesterday's Dumb ....

 ... I opted for a palate cleanser of some of my favorite things through the years. 


Like my paternal grandmother, Agnes Dorothy Nolan, born in San Francisco just one month after the  Big Quake of 1906. She was tiny, barely five feet tall, but she was a pistol!


Carlos and me in Key West the week I flew to Miami to meet him. This was the third day of my trip and by then i knew this was where I belonged.


Mom and Dad on the deck of their house in Blue Canyon.


Tuxedo, showing off the goods to the Sun Gods.


Little MaxGoldberg used to sit in the window behind the shades, and then pop his head out; I love his little wink.


Consuelo. Is it me, or does she kinda match the sunroom love seat? Did we adopt her because she went with the furniture?


Ozzo, all done up a la the Obama Hope poster.


This is Lady, who lived to be twenty-one. I had dolled her up with gold stars for a Christmas card; she wasn't happy, but she let me do it to her.


Scruffy was the old man of the house, who had bad legs, a bad eye and lost an ear to cancer before he passed. He was tough but lovable.


Spunky was the bitch of the house, but she loved to be scooped up and held on her back while you rubbed her belly. I love her hypnotic eyes ...


Sweetie, whose name truly fit her, dolled up for that same Christmas card as Lady. Sweetie also lived into her 20s.


Tallulah Belle. The first cat we adopted in South Carolina. Her favorite nap spot was inside an empty pot. We didn't have her long, but she was something.


Thomas was a cat Carlos adopted in Miami, though to be fair, it was actually Thomas who adopted Carlos. He as a huge cat, of no discernible breed, who looked mean but wasn't at all; he was a pussy cat.


And this is Voncie, Lady's brother. He was smart as a whip, and crazy as a loon.

Sidenote: no, it isn't lost on  me that we have certain cat "types" ... Lady and Tuxedo. Max and Sweetie and Scruffy; Voncie and Tallulah; Spunky and Consuelo. I think if we ever found a cat that looked like Thomas, we'd grab him up to.

22 comments:

  1. Oh, Bobulah! A blog post sorta dedicated to pussies. I can die happily snickering now. Loved these. The people are cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delightful post! Thanks for sharing it with us! You know, your cat Lady looks just like Her Royal Highness did in real life. HRH was a tuxedo cat with a little white milk moustache like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is (was?, sorry, I'm not sure) a very pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie looks like our long lost Snuff (not named by me). Tuxedo and Lady remind me of Wolfgang, the Last Cat (I'm too old to chase after live mice). Wolfie will be in a snit tomorrow as it is off to the vets. Have coerced him indoors to take Wolfie to save me dragging myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! I am almost
    sneezing at all the cats (allergic)
    Ozzo is a sweetie pie and nice to
    see family pics.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why Bob, I find it interesting that you can be so nice and still be so... 'catty.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures! The portrait of your grandmother is great -- especially her cat-eye glasses. (So appropriate for a post with many cats.) I had a cat similar to Consuelo and Spunky, a female named Howard. She was a fantastic cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Kitties!
    Love the pics (especially Tux and his thirst trap) and I love the pic of you and Carlos.
    So sweet!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Great post. Love all the photos very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the palate cleanser. This all made me smile. I wonder if we should redecorate to match the cats. Nah, black and white goes with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved all the cat pics. And yes, Consuelo matches the couch perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Deedles
    I bet you never thought you’d see a pussy post on my blog!?!?!??!

    @Debra
    I love a black cat or a Tuxedo cat. Lady was a tough cat, but when she loved on you it was epic.

    @Treaders
    My Mom is, and was—she passed away in 2007—a lovely woman.

    @Helen
    It’s always a trick to get the cats to the vet!

    @TDM
    That one of my grandmother I hadn’t seen in a loooong time!

    @Dave
    I am full on catty.

    @Steve
    I didn’t think about the ats and the glasses; that made me smile.
    Consuelo is a princess, and Spunky was a bitch, but both so lovable.

    @Six
    Kitties galore.
    That was Carlos and me on one of our first “dates.”

    @Patrick
    Thanks, I needed some cheer.

    @Mitchell
    I needed to cleanse my mind after that last post!
    You’re lucky with the black-and-white, they do go with anything!

    @JM
    I had never noticed that about Consuelo before!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a total cat lover, and that Consuelo is a beautiful cat ... What a sweet face she has!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My wife and I went to Miami for a honeymoon but we didn't make a trip to key west

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Marcia
    She's a little diva, but that makes her an easy fit into our family!!

    @Adam
    It's a world away down there. Worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your family. That was just lovely. Adore cats. And dogs. I wish I could help them all and that they could all live forever. My heart to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did I miss the update of the neighbors' cat/someone's cat that was coming over like clockwork for a meal...

    ReplyDelete
  18. @upton
    My pleasure. I feel the same way about cats, and, yeah, dogs, too. All of ours have been rescues and all have been so loving.

    @Vicvtor
    The cat that Carlos fed and named Comet is back at her pseudo-owner's house, our neighbors, due to the cold of late. We may see her again as she loves to play with Ozzo in our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see you haven't had many cats?!?!?

    And I'll say, you sure do look like your father!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Maddie
    Yes, we have had MANY cats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so much love today

    ReplyDelete
  22. For all the wondrous posts you make that tickle my political fancy, I find this one my all time favorite!
    You and Carlos, your parents, your precious pussies, your wonderful dog...moved me because they connect with how Pretty and I feel about our family, too.
    But let me perfectly clear - your grandmother is my personal fav - I love that you included her, and I love that you thought she was a pistol. There's just something about those 1900s folks that made them special.
    My grandmothers were the women who mattered most to me in my childhood - they were my anchors, my hope.
    Today is also special, Bob, because our second granddaughter is being born even as I write. Pretty and I are blessed - we try very hard to give our granddaughters the love our families have given us.
    Thank you for this post, Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......