Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: A Connecticut Barn

Goddess, I love a barn. Rustic or new; timeworn or modern. I love the high ceilings and the mix of materials. I want a barn, dang it.

And this one, in Greenwich, Connecticut, is perfection. It was built in Albany, New York, in the 1860s, and was then transported to Connecticut to have a new life, using all of the original timber framework.

The remaining timber was used for the exterior siding and trim work, interior flooring, walls and ceiling boards. Details from the exterior of the original barn inspired the new design of the doors and windows, a chimney, cupola and the conservatory.

The conservatory is wonderful space can be enjoyed  during all four seasons, as it has both air conditioning and heat along with a radiant floor.

Inside the barn, a spacious interior allows for a great room with an open layout and plenty of space for sitting and dining areas. A grand floor-to-ceiling fireplace anchors the room, along with large arch top windows on either side. Additional windows and a cupola helps to flood the interiors with natural light and are appropriately scaled and detailed to complement the barn aesthetic.

On the other end of the great room is an open concept kitchen, which includes a custom designed wet bar composed of reclaimed wormy chestnut. The custom built-in cabinet was designed to appear like a hutch, yet functions as a wet bar and even has a refrigerator concealed in the bottom. And, most important—for me—is the basement wine cellar, outfitted with antique timber for the shelving and ceiling beams.

The barn provides 3,100 square feet of living space with a balcony sleeping loft, and a full bathroom.

Okay, yeah, 3,100 square feet is a lot of space for a one bedroom home, but perhaps I failed to mention that this is not the owner’s home. This is what they call the Entertainment Barn, for parties and such, with a guest room for those who don’t stay in the main house on the state.

Kinda makes me wanna see the main house …

One Kind Design

9 comments:

  1. Holy cow! 3,100 ft for a party
    house!! They did a good job with
    it.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!
    I've always wanted to convert a barn into a home (can't look at a barn without the first thought being what a great house it would make). The owners did a fantastic job on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw the aerial view and that traditional English Garden layout...I was in love. The exterior and grounds takes my breath away. I like the interior....and layout and high ceiling....but it's a bit heavy with ALL THE WOOD. I never thought Id complain about too much wood. My favorite room would be that conservatory. But all that wood.... It's warm though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we still lived in Connecticut, I would WANT that "barn." Although maybe just a bit too much "wood" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes... give me all that wood. (Not what you're thinking, Bob). Seriously, all that love warmth everywhere to be seen. I don't care much for most of the furniture (spindles, ew), but the house and grounds are spot on. I could film a British sitcom there. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read "barn" and was not expecting this. Whoa. What a beautiful house! And I agree with Maddie. The garden is so utterly charming I cannot take it.
    I love, love love the ceilings and I cannot believe they transported the whole thing to put it here (well, I can, that's MONEY).

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could live there,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob,

    You slay me.

    I like it. I would change a few things but overall I like it. The best part is the location. Away from others.

    The practical girl has some issues. How are we going to cool/heat all that space. Yea, I get the fireplace. I guess a good working fireplace will not have smoke in the house and everything smells like a camping trip. Also all that square footage and one bedroom. Hell, I would make it two or three. That way my guests could have their own bedroom and share the common areas. Get to know each other. Plenty of space to spread out.

    Great choice!!

    Best,

    XO

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......