Friday, October 31, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

Judy Shepard, on a conversation she once had with her son Matthew about Wyoming and marriage equality: 

“I had had a conversation with Matt in 1998 and he asked me if I thought it would ever happen – if marriage equality would come to Wyoming. I thought: In my lifetime? No. But I thought he would see it in his. It turned out to be the complete opposite.”

This breaks my heart. So much promise …
Louis Gohmert, Texas asshat and Republican Congressman, still worried about gays in the military:

"I've had people say, 'Hey, you know, there's nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks.' Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle. But you know what, it's a different kind of fighting, it's a different kind of war and if you're sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you're not going to last very long. It's guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that's what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did. As people have said, 'Louie, you have got to understand, you don't even know your history.' Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It's not a good idea."

I think Louie spends an awful lot of time thinking about man-on-man massages.
That’s all.
Jimmy Carter, former president, on the idea that states should still be allowed to ban same-sex marriage:

"I'm kind of inclined to let the states decide individually. And now as you see more and more states are deciding on gay marriages every year. But if Texas doesn't want to have gay marriage, then I think that's a right for Texas people to decide."

This is quite different than what he’s said in the past, so I hope it’s a misquote or a misstatement.
Jimmy needs to see that if, say, Bob and Carlos get married in South Carolina, and have their marriage recognized in that state, and then, for some reason, they move to Texas somewhere down the line, and find their marriage is invalid, that’s kind of the epitome on inequality.
Eh, Jimmy?
Ted Olson, AFER lawyer, saying the nation has reached a "point of no return" in the legal battle over gay marriage:

"I do not believe that the United States Supreme Court could rule that all of those laws prohibiting marriage are suddenly constitutional after all these individuals have gotten married and their rights have changed; To have that snatched away, it seems to me, would be inhuman; it would be cruel; and it would be inconsistent with what the Supreme Court has said about these issues in the cases that it has rendered."

It’s gonna happen, far sooner than I think most of us ever suspected, or expected.
Dolly Parton, on her gay following, Christianity and the LGBT community:

“They know that I completely love and accept them, as I do all people. I've struggled enough in my life to be appreciated and understood. I've had to go against all kinds of people through the years just to be myself. I think everybody should be allowed to be who they are, and to love who they love. I don't think we should be judgmental. Lord, I've got enough problems of my own to pass judgment on somebody else.  … [As] far as the Christians, if people want to pass judgment, they're already sinning. The sin of judging is just as bad as any other sin they might say somebody else is committing. I try to love everybody.”

I’m glad she didn’t resort to her old standby that gay people deserve marriage so they can be just as miserable as straight people.

3 comments:

  1. Also glad she didn't trot out the miserable joke. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. louis gohmert is like john travolta - he really enjoys those "happy ending" massages on the down low!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that's a misquote because I've always had a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......