Saturday, May 07, 2022

I Ain't One To Gossip But ...

Last time I posted about soap actor Steve Burton it was to discuss him getting fired from General Hospital over refusal to follow COVID mandates. But Burton is back now because he and his wife of 23 years, Sheree Burton, are divorcing, even though she’s pregnant for the fourth time.

I guess since Burton worked on a soap opera, his life is a little like a soap opera, and he released a statement about the end of his marriage:

“I wanted to clear something  up. Sheree and I are separated. She recently announced she’s expecting her fourth child. The child is not mine.”

Ouch.

photo

It’s kinda sad when you try to reboot a once-beloved TV show and all anyone can talk about is the one actor, and character, who didn’t come back, but that’s all the Sex and the City reboot, And Just Like That is about: Samantha and Kim Cattrall.

Kim didn’t make the TV reboot because when she was asked to be part of a third SATC movie she gave a firm ‘Not interested’:

“Everything in me went, ‘I’m done.’ That’s a no. It’s powerful to say no. It’s a great wisdom to know when enough is enough. I also didn’t want to compromise what the show was to me. The way forward seemed clear.”

And then we had to listen to Sarah Jessica Parker and show creator Michael Patrick King go on and on and on about how much they loved Cattrall and her character, but she wasn’t coming back to the show anyway, anywhere, anytime, ever.

Cut to Cattrall going, Duh. I told y’all that three years ago.

And since SJP and MPK keep talking about Kim and Samantha, Cattrall did a recent interview with Variety to promote Peacock’s reimagining of Queer as Folk and her role as the narrator on How I Met Your Father and discussed the show:

“I was never asked to be part of the reboot. I made my feelings clear after the possible third movie, so I found out about it like everyone else did—on social media.”

But one thing she has never discussed is why she refused to come back, and on this one, I am, still and always, #TeamKim. See, her story in the third film was to be about Miranda’s son sending her dick pics, and Kim thought that a lazy stupid storyline and so she passed, though she did offer her own thoughts:

“Why can’t Samantha, who owns her PR company – maybe she had to sell it because of financial woes? 2008 was tough. Some people are still recovering. She had to sell it to some guy who’s wearing a hoodie, and that’s the dilemma she has. I mean that’s a scenario that was kind of off the top of one of my reps’ heads, and I thought that’s a great idea. That’s a conflict. Instead of an underage boy’s … “

Cattrall revealed the original script o the third film was to be about Big’s death and brought a little shade:

“The [new] series is basically the third movie. That’s how creative it was.”

Ouch. And as for SJP making it known that she would not be okay with Kim coming back to the show, Kim says she never heard that so she has no comment. And she has no comment about the reboot because she, like a great many people, has never watched it.

“I’ve come to the conclusion that really the greatest compliment I could have as an actor is to be missed. And as difficult as it was, and as scary as it is to stand up and not be bullied by the press or the fans or whomever—to just say, ‘I’m good. I’m on this track. It was so great working with you. I so enjoyed it, but I’m over here.’”

And that’s how you do it.

photo

Oh, talk about self-involved and delusional.

At the start of COVID, the world was locked down for months, but we slowly came outside to see what the new world was like but one  person didn’t; she continued to stay home.

Oprah Winfrey recently revealed that she locked herself in  her house, well, I imagine it was several of her houses, for almost a year, because of the pandemic.

But let’s say it was just one home, most likely her home in Montecito, California. Yes, she stayed locked up with her companion Steadman Graham and a full staff of maids and cooks and gardeners to take care of her 23,000 square foot house with an Olympic-sized pool, a movie theater, six bedrooms, 14 bathrooms, a gourmet kitchen and wine cellar, library, theater, and 10 fireplaces.

Oh, poor Oprah.

Try being one of the millions of folks out of work during the pandemic and struggling to pay rent on their one-bedroom apartment and buy food and just plain survive while you lounged by the pool and walked the gardens and picked a wine from the cellar for dinner,

And then kindly fuck all the way off.

photo

Picture Romancing the Stone without Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner; picture their amazing chemistry that “almost” led to an affair and did lead to a couple of other movies together. Now, picture Romancing the Stone with Michael Douglas and … Debra Winger.

Back in the 80s, Winger was the ‘It’ girl after roles in An Officer and a Gentleman and Terms of Endearment, so she was considered for the role in Romancing the Stone. Douglas and director Robert Zemeckis set up a dinner meeting with Winger and that’s when things went weird and Debra’s name was scratched off the list of co-stars.

According to Douglas, he and Zemeckis met Winger at a Mexican restaurant in Texas while she was shooting “Terms of Endearment” hoping to cast her as Joan, but the dinner didn’t go as planned:

“She comes out for us to have a dinner one night and we all have dinner together and we are talking and knocking back some tequilas and this and that. We walk out and, just as you would kind of go, ‘Oh you!’ and give someone a little punch in the arm, you know, like a joke-around, she goes, ‘Oh you!’ and she reaches over and she bites me—on my arm.”

Douglas said he screamed in pain.

“She’s like jokey and I’m looking at her, ‘I don’t know, man’—I’m thinking ‘this could be rough’ and she seems interested and I go back and she’s broken the skin. I break down in tears and say, ‘I can’t go to the jungle with her—she bit me in the arm!’ I said, ‘I can’t do it!'”

And studio executives agreed not to cast Winger but come on, he cried? He cried? Now I wanna know from Winger if Douglas tasted like chicken cuz it sure sounds like it.

photo

24 comments:

  1. Burton: Ouch: hahahaha.

    Kim does have class

    Oprah? so, she and Ellen enjoyed the same type of lockdown.

    Winger? Douglas? did he have any cheese with that whine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim is the saving grace in this hot mess.

      Delete
  2. Speaking of Michael Douglas, he and Kathleen Turner were reunited as warring ex-spouses in his recent streaming series on Netflix, "The Kominsky Method." It was great to see them together again. Kathleen Turner still has that raspy voice but is otherwise greatly changed with age. It's a good series if you haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas annoys the heck outta me, but I adore Kathleen Turner so maybe I can bear it?

      Delete
  3. Oprah's whine cellar is bigger than my house, oh how terrible for her, whining in her wine cellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oprah is quite out of touch.

      Delete
  4. Hmmmmm. Sounds like Douglas was rehearsing his much later Liberace act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've slayed me for the day!!! 😂😂😂

      Delete
  5. My heart bleeds for Oprah, just as it bleeds for HM the Queen, forced to live in Windsor Castle, not tawdry and ugly Buck House. The poor Queen is all alone (except for all those servants) and presumably the occasional visit from her ghastly offspring and their partners. None of these people have a clue. And she has kindly agreed to attend SOME of the events to celebrate her platinum jubilee if she is well (enough already). But she is definitely going to the Derby come hail come shine, in sickness or in health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I get that it's hard to sequester yourself, either by illness or during a pandemic, but when it's in a huge mansion with staff, don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

      Delete
  6. We could use a maid or two, maybe a cook or gardener.
    Maybe Oprah could share?
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she's a sharer.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. you gotta love Cattrall. She was the only one interesting one on that show. She wasn't interesting in the movies, but to be fair, no one could be.........even Liza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always found her the best part of the whole thing, because she could be dramatic and funny and sexy and vile, while the others were quite one-dimensional.
      But, yeah, the movies were bad.

      Delete
  8. What would've happened if Michael Douglas had done the broken skin biting? Just a thought. I would've shed a few tears too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd probably have been arrested. But I doubt Winger would have cried.

      Delete
  9. I saw Cattrall's response to a condolence tweet from SJP upon the death of C's brother. Basically Cattrall tweeted something like "Don't pretend to give a shit. F off." There's some bad blood there. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She also said that none of them were true friends, but co-workers, so SJP's 'condolence' Tweet was seriously out of place.

      Delete
  10. Well, I found the one about Oprah Winfrey interesting. You are right to compare her likely COVID experience with that of the downtrodden masses. In fact, there isn't really any comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen DeGeneres did the same thing at the start of COVID, comparing herself holed up in one of her mansions as like being in prison. So out of touch.

      Delete
  11. I've read a number things about Winger being a bit off balance and socially inappropriate at the start of her career. I think she was just out of her head with all the success. She also replaced Raquel Welch mid-filming and paired with Nick Nolte and one can only guess how out of hand that set was.

    Poor (?) Oprah? I'm still pretty much in my basement. Two plus years. She's welcome to join me, but I rarely have the television on, so, not sure how she'd occupy her time. Oh, wait... she 'reads,' right?

    Kim Cattrall is will always be my number one love. Have you ever seen her Canadian remake of Sensitive Skin? She's a great actress. Just lovely.

    Soap opera star leading a soap opera life. Zzzz.

    Thanks for the dirt. Always the best. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Sensitive Skin. Why oh why do all my favourite TV series stop after one or two seasons! I am a huge fan of Don McKellar, who played Cattrall's husband; he's done some great stuff and I don't hear anything about him these days. I'll always watch whatever he puts out. -Kate

      Delete
  12. I always liked Winger and maybe she bit Douglas so she didn't have to say 'No!"
    Oprah. God the delusion.
    I have always liked Cattrall and always thought her character the most interesting on SATC, and that she was smart for knowing when it's done and when to move on.
    I just love the statement ... "It's not my baby."
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know who Burton is, really, but YIKES!

    I agree about Kim Cattrall -- she was wise to steer clear and move on.

    I always get Debra Winger confused with Margot Kidder. And sometimes Barbara Hershey winds up in that mix, too.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......