Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: High Desert Retreat

Yes. It’s austere and stern and remote and minimal and foreboding, so it’s like me in house form, and I’m here for it.

This 3,100 square foot dwelling is tightly nestled on a rocky desert plateau outside of Palm Desert, California, overlooking the Coachella Valley and the San Jacinto Mountain Range.

The home is comprised of seven rectilinear wooden volumes under a square floating roof and large overhanging eaves to provide respite from the beating sun; there is a single opening in the roof that frames the sky and provide the pool area with sun exposure.

The entry path leads to a wall of windows allowing for a look through the house before you even enter. The dining room fills the entry, with a large patio following overlooking the pool and valley beyond. To the right is the kitchen, a focal point made for entertaining because there is room for “spectators” as well as the “players”—those creating the food and drink. The pool floats in front of the kitchen and then across the central patio to the living area with a large fireplace, built-in bar—and who doesn’t love a built-in bar—and a wall of glass.

Just steps from the living room is the main suite, with its own wall of windows with several large boulders just outside the glass. The main suite bathroom has a shower surrounded by glass, and a soaking tub with its own views.

On the other side of the home, accessed from either a small patio off the kitchen or the walkway to the front door, is a small casita with two en suite bedrooms for guests...

This is a house I’d kill for; I love the desert views because the house is so cool you can beat the heat. And y’all know I live for a Black home, and this house is clad in both concrete and shou sugi ban siding; shou sugi ban is a process used to preserve wood by charring it, which also makes it fire retardant and resistant to rot, insects, and decay.

Must.Have.

As always click to emBIGGEREate …

One Kind Design

25 comments:

  1. Great place for an escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could escape there for a very long time.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "rectilinear" - I learned a new word today!
    Very pretty views.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to educate people here at ISBL! And we like a good view!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Very similar to something else you shared. I like the idea. It's a little cold looking for me, but I do like it. And the desert? What lovely heat and air. Adore. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's how the house sits in the boulders that I love, and the glass, and the views and that pool! And the tub; oy, that tub!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Where do I sign toots! The clean lines and views sold me alone. I love the box within a box design going on. You and Carlos are invited as long as you promise to make me one of those cock-a-tails for which your so famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to make the cock-a-tails.

      Delete
  6. It would be a peaceful place to spend a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I could ever get tired of it, because the desert views are constantly changing.

      Delete
  7. These are all starting to look the same to me. I actually don't have an eye for houses unless I'm walking through them in person. Don't care for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I'll be at the bar mixing drinks ... ?

      Delete
    2. Bobulah, sweetums, there is not enough alcohol in the world that can distract me from the fact that I'm in the desert! I am tropical, not arid. I need greenery.

      Delete
    3. Drink enough and you'll feel like a potted palm?

      Delete
  8. Ok, so you know I'm all for integration with the landscape. This one is just perf in that aspect. The casita with the two guest bedrooms? Ideal! You know you want people visiting but NOT in your hair all the time. I love the ingenious use of materials, too.
    Would love to live there. Especially now. I need views like that instead of the news.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am here for guests who have their own wing apart from the house!!
      #ViewsNotNews
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Agnes Goldberg-DeWoofs10:26 PM

    I bit modern for me, but I actually love this one.

    It's me Agnes. I for some reason can't use my regular account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cleanliness of the lines which make the views the hit of the house!
      Some people have been having trouble commenting, though I don't know why, or how I can fix it, IF I can fix it.

      Delete
  10. I could live there. It is a long trudge from the garage to the kitchen when you return with the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hire one of Maddie's houseboys on grocery day.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous7:39 AM

    Gorgeous. Looks like the sort of home Ralph Lauren would shoot a commercial.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe one of those Abercrombie and Fitch commercials with hot boys in undies!!!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous6:01 PM

    REALLY Nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......