Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Keita House

Once again, I’m looking for a Mexican house in which to retire, and once again, Carlos is ‘Meh.’

Perhaps the Keita House in Colima, Mexico, nearer the Pacific Coast might do the trick. It’s a modern, stand-alone house, but still has that Colonial Mexican house feel with a central courtyard and small pool. That central patio, the heart of the project, can be seen from nearly every space in the house and yet is completely surrounded for privacy from neighbors. And the trees! Carlos would love the trees, because in Merida, the houses in town are so close together that you don’t get that sense of nature.

Better still, the house is all on one level, easier for two old queens and their cats and dog to navigate, and makes the spaces feel connected to one another. The kitchen, dining and living rooms are all in one space, with heavy wooden beams and ceiling, but also with openings to the courtyard and the surrounding outer yard. The bedrooms are along one side of the home, created a second wall to guard the courtyard, with views but also privacy.

I like its simplicity and the trees and that pool, and the courtyard .Carlos might take some convincing …


Click to emBIGGERate ...

7 comments:

  1. I like element's of the inside...but too cool and cold... the outside reminds me of the free clinic here...I kid not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, one level important at
    a certain age! Very nice.
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love houses that look totally unassuming from the curb and then, WHAM!
    I love the inner courtyards. The style could be warmed up a little but I would LOVE to have this house in Mexico!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find the homes you share interesting, whether they would be "for me" or not. I have a problem with concrete walls inside, especially in a home. All the 1970s buildings on my college campus had that. I guess I tired of it. But in a home, it's just so cold and never softens with age. Something clinical to me about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of like it. Maybe because I'm too hot and this looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of hard surfaces, headed in the right direction, I'd keep working on it. Single story is the only way to go after 40.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the deck with the tree, and of course the pool.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......