Friday, June 05, 2015

I Didn't Say It ...

Frank Bruni, NYT columnist, announcing his 'mock' run for the presidency as a Republican:

"I know a hot trend when I see one and I hate to hop aboard too late. So here goes: I’m announcing my candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination. Sure, I have severely limited name recognition in the hinterlands and, come to think of it, in most urban, suburban and exurban areas as well. But that isn’t stopping Lindsey Graham. True, I have questionable hair (what’s left of it). But that’s not going to deter Donald Trump. My weight has been known to fluctuate, but that connects me to Mike Huckabee, Chris Christie and Jeb Bush, whose Paleo regimen has worked slimming wonders. Forget his position on immigration and check out those new cheekbones! Memo to self: Out with the rigatoni, in with the rib-eye."

Oh Frank, that is one clown car you ought ‘a stay out, lest the stupid rub off on you!
Rachel Maddow, on Caitlyn Jenner's decision to transition:

"We all have moments in life when we have decisions to make and sometimes we decide we need to pick up and move in a big way. It could be as benign as telling your parents you don’t want to be a lawyer after all, it could be as scary as loading everything you own onto a raft and shoving off to another country. We all have moments in life somewhere along that scale for reasons that seem particular to us but are likely shared by a lot of other people. And we’ve reached that moment when the choice is moving forward or staying where we are for no kind of life at all."

As I said earlier this week, if all you really get in life is the chance to be happy, then who is anyone to judge another’s shot at happiness?
Rick Santorum, on what he wants to do if the Supreme Court rules in favor of marriage equality:

"I think it's important to understand that the Supreme Court doesn't have the final word. It has its word. Its word has validity. But it's important for Congress and the president, frankly, to push back when the Supreme Court gets it wrong … I don't advocate civil disobedience. I do advocate the role of an informed citizen to try to overturn when a court makes a mistake and gets an issue wrong.”

Well, you’re ill-informed, Rick, and you need to take a seat because equality is coming whether you like it or not.
Oh, and I almost forgot, “You’ll never be president.”
Orin Kerr, law porfessor at George Washington University, on the Dennis Hastert indictment:

"If I understand the history correctly, in the late 1990s, the President was impeached for lying about a sexual affair by a House of Representatives led by a man who was also then hiding a sexual affair, who was supposed to be replaced by another Congressman who stepped down when forced to reveal that he too was having a sexual affair, which led to the election of a new Speaker of the House who now has been indicted for lying about payments covering up his sexual contact with a boy. Yikes." 

Pots.Kettles.
Laverne Cox on Caitlyn Jenner's 'coming out' and what she hopes it will mean for the trans community: 

"Most trans folks don’t have the privileges Caitlyn and I have now have. It is those trans folks we must continue to lift up, get them access to healthcare, jobs, housing, safe streets, safe schools and homes for our young people. We must lift up the stories of those most at risk, statistically trans people of color who are poor and working class. I have hoped over the past few years that the incredible love I have received from the public can translate to the lives of all trans folks. Trans folks of all races, gender expressions, ability, sexual orientations, classes, immigration status, employment status, transition status, genital status etc.. I hope, as I know Caitlyn does, that the love she is receiving can translate into changing hearts and minds about who all trans people are as well as shifting public policies to fully support the lives and well being of all of us. The struggle continues…"

The march goes on.
And I, too, hope that once the furor dies down over Caitlyn Jenner, she’ll become an advocate for change, an advocate for our trans brothers and sisters.
You may not understand what it means to be trans, but that doesn’t mean you cannot be accepting.

5 comments:

  1. ah ha! Hair - that is what I should look for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Maddow is super. Santorum's quote is valid on its face, but so very wrong as it applies to same-sex marriage. Your retort, Bob, as always, is superior. Orin Kerr hit the nail squarely on its head. I continually love to hear Laverne Cox speak, and OMG, she is gorgeous too. Thanks, Bob for a post that didn't have me furiously grinding my teeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone should have access to healthcare, a good education, decent housing and a police force that does not discriminate against them. Sadly in the UK and the US those outcomes are looking less and less likely for the majority of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. miss ricky looks like she just stepped into some frothy mix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so adore Ms Cox, she is an awesome lady.

    Mr. Frothy Mix lives in a land of make believe if he truly believes he, HE is going to be POTUS!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......