Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Minnesota Manor House

This one is something else, as it has architectural styles that span the Arts & Crafts movement, Storybook design and Victorian styles, especially noted in its “cat-slide” porte-cochère. This wonderful 140-year-old gem sits on just over an acre on top of Historic Ramsey Hill was originally built in 1882, but has been expanded, preserved and cherished over the years.

Now, at approximately 8,500 finished square feet this 7-bedroom 8-bathroom home is both grand and comfortable. With 10-foot ceilings and abundant natural light, the layout is compelling and full of delights such as built-in cabinets, bay windows, ornamental carved plaster ceilings, six fireplaces, and numerous porches and balconies that look out upon the surrounding formal gardens.

The third floor has 2 apartments, perfect for guests or tenants, while the garden, or basement, level contains a gym, a cedar sauna and steam shower and another apartment.

It’s big … it’s too big, but I love it. I love the porches and the porte-cochère; the music room, the study, the office, the quite livable and comfortable kitchen and family room; I need a full-time staff. And then the gardens and outdoor entertainment spaces; I need a full-time gardener. I may have to ask Maddie where she gets all her house boys, because I’m gonna need quite a few.

26 comments:

  1. I LOVE the butlers pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a good moody space, too.

      Delete
  2. I could live in the garden/basement apartment near the gym and sauna but only if I could share a few of your houseboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think of the houseboys as my beck-and-call-boys.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes! This one has me written all over it. I don't think there's a thing about this when I don't like, well, nothing that little updating in some of the rooms wouldn't help. But I absolutely love the design of the exterior. The hardwood floors the lighting and the staircase are spectacular. This one's my favorite and sometime.

    House boys. I never kiss and tell where I get my Supply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to Google search houseboys!

      Delete
  4. Yes, lots and lots of houseboys needed!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hhmm, I may have to break into the piggy bank, but I'll take it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking inside houses; I did a lot of it when my older daughter and husband were searching for a house. Wooeee, there were some "interesting" color schemes and styles. This isn't my favorite style home but it is gorgeous. Luckily, I can't afford anything even close to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it's kind of cobbled together over time.

      Delete
  7. Well that is different. Not sure I like that archway but ....! The inside is also very classy but then, for me, I'd find some of the walls too dark! Just as well I couldn't afford it I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first the arch bothered me because it's off kilter a bit, but now I love it, inside and out.

      Delete
  8. Whoa, Nelly!
    That's a big one. But it's been taken care of, that's obvious. I find the interior a little bit stuffy and even though it does have some nice furniture, it would have to be updated. Too Olive-Garden-at-the-mall for me.
    Love the floors and I'd live in one of the apartments in a heartbeat. I'll wait until Dave buys it and Maddie decorates it.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having never been to an Olive Garden, I'm'a take your word on that. 😲
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. WOW, sweetpea, just WOW!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably get lost in the house somewhere, or lost in the yard somewhere, but it might be worth it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. What a place! Yes, way too big, but what the hell. And the furnishings and art (I assume it’s staged) do nothing for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is big, and, yes, the furnishings do nothing for the s[aces; but other than that ... I'll take it.

      Delete
  11. Overall, It's quite nice, if a little ostentatious. I don't like the cat slide, but if it was a water slide that ended in a giant swimming pool I could accept it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy it and you can make it a water slide!

      Delete
  12. Overkill. They spent a lot of money on this... and, unfortunately, it shows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! The staircase is gorgeous. And that ceiling! I don't want to live in Minnesota, though. Too cold.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......