Sunday, July 17, 2022

Thank You ...

Carlos and I want to thank everyone for your kind words on the passing of MaxGoldberg. While we have made this decision many times over the years, this one was tough because Max declined so quickly, and because I made the decision. Normally, Carlos and I discuss what to do, and when to do it, but this time I noticed that Max wasn’t sleeping with us, and was isolating, and just was not himself. Normally a very affectionate cat, the last couple of days he just sat by himself, so I made the call … and then instantly regretted it, even though I knew it was the best thing for him.

Carlos and I held Max all morning until it was time to go, and then we held onto him until he was gone, and now he’s resting in the backyard. I took the rest of the week off from work—luckily, I have a boss who has pets and fully understands the loss—and we are slowly settling in to being a two cat and a dog household.

Carlos, who worked for years in animal hospitals is generally calmer, more rational than me,  but over the weekend he said he was going to clean up part of the yard: I asked:

“What part?”

“Where we were the other day.”

“When we buried Max?”

“Uh huh.”

And then there’s Tuxedo, who was ours when we got Max, and who was Max’s best friend. Max would never eat breakfast with the other cats, preferring to stay on the bed until the other cats were done, and then he’d come out for his food. And that first morning after. Tuxedo came out to eat and then sat in the living room staring down the hallway waiting for Max to come out; that killed me.

Consuelo, on the other hand, only noticed that there was one less bowl at mealtime, but has also taken to sleeping in the guest room in the spot under the window that used to be Max’s.

We’re all getting used to being Max-less. I expect him to be on the bed when I go back to sleep; I wait for him to jump in my lap when we watch TV; I wish I could give him just one more kiss on his head.

But I will remember all the years and smile. Again, thanks for all your thoughts. 

23 comments:

  1. After HRH went to her reward, I would often catch fleeting glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye for weeks afterward. Now, of course, she has returned to haunt me and my blog permanently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kinda hoping Max comes back to haunt me. I quite like the idea.

      Delete
  2. And I’m sending you ALL hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never easy. I was in tears when I put down my Zelda years ago. My wife's dog Ollie hasn't got many years left but I don't think I'll be mourning him deeply. I met him as a senior dog, it does hit different when you raised a puppy.

    I never owned a cat but my mom will be sad when her Danny goes but he's got many years left

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough call to make, but in the end it was what was best for Max. Not so much for us, though, but he's what mattered most.

      Delete
  4. Eight years ago, after Gertie died, Lily would sit at the bottom of the stairs looking and waiting for her friend to come down, which is why we now have Biggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how they act when one passes on.

      Delete
  5. Take care of yourselves and know we
    care and are sending loves and hugs.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TDM. Every day is a little better. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:57 PM

    I'm new to your blog but this story touched me deeply. My wife and I have dogs (she's allergic to cats) and we've lost several after making "the decision." It rips you up so badly and now we face two of our current menagerie going soon. Please know you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, anyone who's ever had a pet knows how tough this is, but it's what's for the best of our pets.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:28 PM

      Absolutely! It would never be any other way.

      Delete
  7. Our last cat, Satchel was like the penultimate of all the other cats we'd had before him. Years and years later I still miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we've lost many pets over the years and still miss all of them.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:00 PM

    I always told the dogs "Don't break my heart" in the full knowledge that they would - it was their purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, though they don't mean to do it.

      Delete
  9. The sadness in this has made me cry and I dread the day when my Lola leaves. She is only 13 though and in good health. I still miss Angel and cry because I don't know what happened to him. He was stolen five years ago and I feel that he has died. But did someone love him enough to care and to bury him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing a cat that way has got to be hard because you're left wondering. So sorry for that loss.

      Delete
  10. xoxo sweetpea, for you and Carlos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skepticat5:54 PM

    I empathize very strongly, and I praise you for doing the right thing despite how difficult it was. What pets give us is immeasurable love, but that also entails tremendous pain at the end. They're worth it, though it's brutal. My three cats send you purrs of consolation, and I send virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the hardest thing to do for us, but the best thing you can do for the pet.
      Thanks for the purrs!

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......