Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Hilltop House

This home, in Poznan, Poland, was designed to combine the investor’s dreams of mountains, winter sports, cars, and architectural solutions into what resembles a modern barn, encased by three slopes of a green hill, and sitting at the edge of the woods.

The love of cars resulted in the three-car garage equipped with a car jack and yet they didn’t want a garage that overwhelmed the house; the solution was the green hill that wrapped over the spacious garage, the mechanical rooms and a small office. On top of the garage came the primary suite and bath in the shape of a cozy mountain hut that actually opens on top of the “hill.”

The designers combined simple geometrical forms and shapes with natural materials, like wood and concrete, dark metal sheeting and large glazed surfaces  that worked well with eh surrounding forest and meadows.

Hilltop House’s light and spacious interiors are thoughtfully illuminated, and its slanted ceilings together with the mezzanine overlooking the ground floor creates a space and airiness overhead. While the interior design is based on a limited and organic color palette, the daylight penetrating through the large-scale windows and occasional sunny spots on the concrete floors become unique ingredients of retreat-like ambiance of the house. This is especially found in the living room which is dominated by wooden and concrete elements that add elegance and rawness, while at the same time, the light and the views create that sense of being in nature.

I always love a black house—it’s so slimming, you know—and I love the modernity of this and the manmade hilltop upon which the house sits.

26 comments:

  1. It's very stark and reminds me of an office rather than a home. But it is beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is start but I love a modern black house ... and with all that green around it, it's gorgeous.

      Delete
  2. I can't lie I actually absolutely love this one! I love all those different mixed Medias together and all the clean lines. And those hanging lights are so cool. I like things that are out of the box and unconventional. And what a genius concept to disguise the garage. I hate seeing garage doors on houses. I love the use of black on the exterior. When the hell can I move in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%! Let me contact the broker for you ...

      Delete
  3. I'm shocked to love the interior. The exterior looks to me like a converted contemporary church. I like old churches, but not contemporary ones. But I do like their green solution for hiding the garage. But I could have a ball with that interior... but not in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's giving barn, but I can see church. I love a lot about this house, notably the green "hill" and the property itself.

      Delete
  4. I can appreciate its design and find it surprisingly beautiful but it leaves me a little cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that cold modern sterility, though some of the wood accents do warm it up a bit.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:49 AM

    the dog's mother
    And, of course, the black cat!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have that house, you need a matching pet!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. A little too stark for me, but the garage is an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the stark though I'd add some colorful art to the walls.

      Delete
  7. Cleora Borealis11:51 AM

    My hubby is nuts about cars and rainfall showers and Eastern Europe...so he's sold and I'll miss him when he goes to buy this place!! All I can see is a cat searching for a comfortable soft place to lie down and finding none. I ain't up for cat discomfort!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'll miss him when he goes to buy this place!!"

      Killed me.
      And I agree you gotta make the cats happy first!

      Delete
  8. Hated it. Too much black. It's supposed to be a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black can be a home, and a beautiful one at that.

      Delete
  9. Love it.
    Absolutely love the lines and the materials. Love the minimal palette inside and the use of nature outside. Those rooms!!! All that space!! One can breathe there.
    Love the exterior too. I also love me a black house with touches of wood and nature. Very Scandi.
    I think the idea of putting the garage there is genius. Also, that green car!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda think the car should be part of any sale of the house!
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Nicely done but NO!! Love the outside surroundings of the home.

    When is this black and white trend end. Not soon enough. Now black done right maybe. But do we need it in every frickin room of the house. Does not look welcoming. Looks cold.

    Gives me a feel of a church. A sterile doctor's office.

    Some folks just have too much damn money!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for the black ... the black kitchen ... that black nook for the bed. Love.

      Delete
  11. Impressive but I don't like the living area lighting at all. Old WWII flood lighting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it ... the lights are a little WWII ... but it's a great upcycle!

      Delete
  12. I would go see that one. A neat old VW in the garage a sign of good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Yeah, that would warm up the interior; plus, all those windows would be perfect for some great indoor plants.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......