Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: The Stone Barn

This beautifully renovated and enlarged—there are four bedrooms and two-and-one-half bathrooms in 3467 square feet—modern home in Winchcombe is set within the walls of a Grade II–listed stone cottage and former agricultural barn.

A long avenue of trees lines the approach to the home, discreetly tucked into a quiet and secluded pocket at the furthest end of the driveway. A generous parking area, and a wide turning circle sits along one side, with winding paths that lead through the front lawns to the main entrance of the house.

A series of open-plan modern living spaces unfold once you enter the home juxtaposed with exposed stone walls and thick beams, and windows along both sides of the Great Room. The primary living spaces are loosely arranged across the central split-level of the ground floor, with the upper floors on both the north and south sides of the home housing the sleeping areas.

A sleek modern kitchen runs the length of one wall on the main level, with hand-crafted cabinetry and free-standing workstations; there is an additional pantry set in a lower-level room to one side. The dining area is positioned between the kitchen and living spaces, with exposed, lime washed stone walls and rich terracotta on the walls,; a sunroom living area protrudes beyond the original external wall, opening onto the front terrace in warmer months.

From the Great Room steps lead into a small library space and then to another living area with an open stone fireplace; down a few steps is a small study area and access to the back courtyard and outhouse—not a toilet, but an outbuilding currently housing a laundry room—and the southern terrace and gardens.

Bak inside, a staircase leads to three bedrooms on the upper southern levels; original curved walls and dipping ceilings retain the rural character; each bedroom has a beautiful view, and the upper bedroom has an en suite bathroom with a roll-top bathtub.

The Primary Suite sits along the second-floor northwestern side of the home and is probably the most impressive space in the house, with the double-height pitch of the ceilings, massive beams and windows along both sides of the space to bring in the light. The room has been artfully divided to provide an open plan for sleeping and bathing—perhaps a little too open for my taste. The sleeping area sits atop a raised platform with a soaking tub overlooking the gardens and fields; a dividing wall behind the bed is where you find the toilet and shower, while a dressing space is on the opposite side of a central screen of wardrobes and cabinetry in the middle of the room; a work area is placed behind the wardrobe as well with its own views of the countryside.

Outside the gardens and terraces have been designed with mindful intention, ensuring the outside spaces are enjoyed as much as the interior. On the east side a south-facing terrace is the spot to enjoy a quiet early morning coffee; for alfresco lunches and suppers, the dining area on the lower south-facing terrace is the perfect spot from midday until sunset. Pleached hornbeam trees create a natural screen, while beds and borders are filled with flowering perennials and shrubs—echinacea, salvia, verbena and prairie-style grasses—which burst to life in the spring.

If you’re interested, the price has just been reduced from $1.9M USD to $1.3M USD. There’s a bargain to be had. I might ask for a small allowance to close in that bathroom in the primary suite for a wee bit more toilet privacy …

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

24 comments:

  1. Well, Brother Bob, I do love a stone house - and for sure no big bad wolf will be able to blow this house down. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like parts ... not the open toilet in the master bedroom and not the small secondary bedrooms ... but the outside sells it!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:55 AM

    the dog's mother
    I want the dog!
    Loverly views.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surroundings are stunning!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'll be honest with this one. I absolutely love the exterior in the grounds, as I like a nice secluded wooded lot. But it ends there. The interior of this design drove me nuts, a bit boring and feels dated. Although that being said I love the kitchen and it's sleekness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the juxtaposition of the modern with the stone exterior, but it needs some great hard wood floors and a proper bathroom in the primary suite.

      Delete
  4. From the outside, I thought I was going to love this. But that's not the case. Sleek kitchen. (And I just looked above and see Maddie said the same thing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a mish-mash of styles for me, and some I really like and some need a tweak and still others need to be completely rethought.

      Delete
  5. I like the library, though much of the interior seems too cold and sterile to me. The grounds sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little library is a selling feature for me ... a good book, a nice glass of wine and a cat in my lap? Sold!

      Delete
  6. Winchcombe---2 1/2 hours East by car to London and 7 hours by train. I love the seclusion of the homes location. Winchcombe is a town shy over 5,000 people. Try sneaking in a trick.

    Is is me or does the outside of the house not match/complement the inside? I love the grounds and the outside of the home. The inside....let me get back with you on that. I do love the light. And I would have to concur with you that the openness of the bedroom and bathroom area is a bridge too far for me. I am averse to a wood burning fireplace in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insides are a mix of mid-century modern, quirky nooks and crannies, a very modern open primary suite, and secondary bedrooms that are dingy and small. But I g=could work with it.

      Delete
  7. Very nice but it does seem somewhat isolated, which would no doubt appeal to some. The price does sound cheap. There may be a clue in seven hours by train to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could deal with a seven hour train ride every so often ... and I might like the isolation a bit. I just need to gather extra coins to make it perfectly mine.

      Delete
  8. Love the grounds and it would be a perfect 'country house'. I think the interior is a tad confusing and it needs a tad of updating (and the bedrooms confused me). But I like the splashes of color they added.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about those secondary bedrooms...closets are bigger. And it needs some more rustic touches in flooring and such and a door to the toilet!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Winchcombe with a "b"! The error is outrageous but the house is lovely. Another great choice. My surviving brother used to live in Winchcombe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say the website where I found this property spelled Winchcombe with the 'b' but as I went to check I see that, yes, my error ... since corrected.

      Delete
    2. Simmer down Yorkshire.

      Delete
  10. I like the kitchen (usually the sticking point for me) but the layout is weird, chopped up, and the interior design looks cheap, carpet and Ikea, out of place for over a million.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does need a redesign, especially those hovel-ish guest rooms.

      Delete
  11. The property is nice, but I don't know about the design of the house. As Travel says, the interior, especially the carpet, looks cheap.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely put in some great hardwoods and give some rooms a tweak, but the house and the surroundings are gorgeous.
      xoxo

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......