Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Marfa Ranch

Sure, it’s out in the middle of nowhere; and sure it looks kind of desolate; and, yes, it’s Texas. But this home, located in the inhospitable Chihuahuan Desert and the Davis Mountains, sits in the small ranching and art community of Marfa in far west Texas.

And just beyond the edge of town on its own large expansive plot of land is Marfa Ranch, a place of simple beauty and near perfect isolation. It sits on a low rise with views in all directions forcing the house to settle naturally into its desert surroundings.

The rooms of Marfa Ranch are organized around a courtyard shaded by the dappled light of native mesquite trees with a small fount of collected rainwater that completes the oasis-like quality of this outdoor room. The thick rammed earth walls— a technique for constructing foundations, floors, and walls using compacted natural raw materials such as earth, chalk, lime, or gravel—protect the house from the extremes of the region—the heat of summer, cold of winter, and wind while the breezeways and a roof terrace connect the visitor with the landscape beyond. Situated on a low rise with views in all directions, the house cuts a low profile, settling naturally into its desert surroundings.

I am all about the rammed earth, which looks a little like sedimentary layers the walls; beautiful and eco-friendly. I also love the isolation and the wide flat landscape bordered by mountain ranges, and the roof terrace and the pool. It might make people less likely to just drop by, but is that really a bad thing?

27 comments:

  1. The outdoor shower is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be nice to spend a week or two there - such a peaceful getaway! But to live there - no thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could hoist it up and move it to another similar locale in a less-Texas state, I'd do it in a minute.

      Delete
  3. Well it is only a few hours drive from me (a few hours drive in Texas is anything under 5 hours) and I really do like it. Love the stone bath tub and the outdoor shower. And, on a clear night you can probably see the Marfa Lights in all their ghostly glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boulder baths are cool, right?

      Delete
  4. I appreciated the design and thought and feel...but too sparce and "South-westy" for me. Maybe a day or two. And I don't think I'd be happy for long in a desert or plains location. Too barron for me. I like pricks....but only on my men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a rammed earth house because the walls give that layers of sediment look to them; and I like a good minimalist house.
      But .............. Texas.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done and placed (except for Texas). Not my style though. A bit cold for me and not a style that would take well to warming up. Still, beautifully done. But Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been to Texas and won't be back. Some of the old city buildings are nice but the scenery leaves much to be desired. As do the politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the scenery but the politics? Pass.

      Delete
  7. Isn't Marfa where the movie Giant was made? I couldn't live with that barren landscape. The house is not for me, either.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the landscape because it changes with the time of day and the seasons. It's the Texas of it all that gets me.

      Delete
  8. I do love the home. If you know me by now, I will change the black choose another color. The surroundings are kind of bleak but serene. But in my dotage I will take it. No one will be on my lawn. I checked and the nearest hospital is about an hour due North. There is a community health clinic run by the state. You know everyone will know your business. "Don't tell anyone BUT Victor came in for a skin tag on his butt." The highest temperatures are during the months of June, July, and August. The highest average temperature is in June with a temperature of 91 degrees. I lived in Dallas back in the 90's. Now I prefer a more welcoming state government and a dependable electrical grid. I will talk to my accountant and see if this is something he would recommend and I can swing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the black; I am working on Carlos to paint our house black!

      Delete
    2. NO!! This is a fad and is not timeless!! Every house in the neighborhood should not be painted on some variation of black and white. Put down the sprayer.

      Delete
    3. Nope. I'm thinking black board-and-batten with cedar accents. I'm all in.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I love it.
    I would introduce just a little bit of color in accessories and would even forget for a second it is in Texas. Love the landscaping and the use of natural rocks. I love the bathroom and the outdoor shower. Can you IMAGINE the fun?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Texas part is not good, but then there are no neighbors for miles so you could pretend it's the more Blue New Mexico?
      And yes, I can imagine the fun!
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

      Delete
    2. That's our Deedles, concise yet cogent.

      Delete
  11. Can we move the state line to make it be in New Mexico? I would need to add a little color, and soften it up a little inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks as comfy as a 6X6 cell.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......