Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Floating Farmhouse

In 2002 self-taught designer Tom Givone bought a toppling 200-year-old Upstate New York farmhouse peeling with outdated neon blue paint; his new neighbors suggested tearing the house down and starting fresh, but Givone wasn’t having that.

Givone was wandering through the Catskill Mountains when he spotted that dilapidated blue farmhouse—along with two others—and rehabbed them all. But it’s this main house, dubbed the Floating Farmhouse, that is his taste, his design, his vision.

Today this 1820 manor house—available as a vacation rental, film/photo shoot location and event space—is a mix of stunning modern architecture and old-world charm. The Floating Farmhouse is 2 hours from New York, 2.5 hours from Philadelphia, and is surrounded by the area's most sought-after attractions, including world-class concerts at Bethel Woods, the Tusten hiking trails overlooking the Delaware River, skiing at Big Bear, the picturesque river town of Narrowsburg, and some of the finest dining and farmer's markets in the Catskills.

The main living area—part of the original house—has walls of windows overlooking the brook and forest, as well as a zinc-covered modern fireplace for those cold nights; there are also two bedrooms and a powder bath along one side.

In the addition is an enormous kitchen with polished concrete floors, a wood-fired pizza oven, and a two-story wall of glass framing views of the brook, gazebo, apple trees, and barn, and three sets of French doors lead to the covered porch, suspended over the water's edge. Upstairs are two additional rooms, a bathroom, and the primary suite which overlooks the brook.

Outside is the barn, perfect for a private event or company retreat, and is situated near a gazebo, firepit and the brook and waterfall.

I’m torn between using t as a getaway and just keeping it all to myself.

As always click to emBIGGERate …

24 comments:

  1. Nice, but I'd definitely need to splash a little color on them walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the white walls but admit it needs some colorful art work.

      Delete
  2. Good that he was able to renovate. A little
    concerned about the dammed creek. The
    weather these days.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floating can quickly become submerged these days.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Great spaces. The creek would make me a bit nervous. The interiors need us. Or, Mistress Maddie, just a short drive away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, think, "Heavy rains bring puddles to the kitchen."

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have torn it down either. It's lovely, but it's too spare. It needs some oomph and color! Bring in the mistress!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sparseness to it all; it's just so simple. But I would bring in color through artwork, too.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I appreciate Tom's vision of keeping the original structures and renovating. So many times one opts to just tear down and start from scratch. The design and quality of work of yesteryear is something to behold and keep when possible. I bring your attention to the glorious Penn Station, New York that was demolished in 1963. A travesty and the start of the Preservation Movement. Love the space and surrounding woods. I see I have a great jumping off point to add my touches. Yes, color!! Maybe I could start a gay retreat to rejuvenate oneself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the addition of the kitchen space is definitely new but works well with the original structure.
      I'd book a weekend or longer at your Gay Getaway!

      Delete
  6. You had me at the Catskill Mountains. I'm familiar with the Catskills having been there a few times it's stunning. And this house I'd move into in a minute .. .what sells me the most is the dark wood floors, the lovely build in shelfing ,and firewood storage area, and that fabulous kitchen. And I love that the house is mostly White which allows for a myriad of interior colors for furnishings. The design of the exterior spectacular especially the part overlooking a little pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I like the same things about it; I love the sparseness of the rooms, and the whiteness, that i can liven up with art and such; And then the land? Oy!!!

      Delete
    2. Carlos can come too I guess...so long as he doesn't practice the trumpet too long.

      Delete
    3. We can send him out to the barn. The acoustics should be perfect!

      Delete
  7. I like this one. A little color on the walls would be nice. I know that white is a color, but it's a boring one. Throw in a maid and lawn man, and I'd live there! Oh, I might need a sugar daddy to pay for it. I've never had one, but I hear they come in handy. I said "handy"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a handy, or handsy, sugar daddy, and if he wants to buy this farm, I'll give him a handy.

      Delete
  8. You had me at 'floating'.
    Farmhouse? I also like but not as much as those floors and those beams!!! OMG adore. And I love the stark contrast of the floors and the house paint. I love me an all-white house so no biggie. I think the accessories all bring warmth to the house.
    I love the idea of water near the house. Seriously.

    Also, the bathroom. And he rehabbed the whole thing? Kudos.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got a lot going for it, though .... if the creek rises????
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Nice farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I won't have to be a farmer!

      Delete
  10. I found the outside a bit "boxy" but I suppose there's not an awful lot you could do about that. Loved the inside though! And if I had that green couch in my house it'd be sticking out the back door into the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farmhouses tend to be boxy because it was an easier build, but I don't mind it, and I love the interior.

      Delete
  11. I could work with it. There is a lot of space in the kitchen, but the layout is very stretched (a kitchen designed by someone who does not cook.) The front needs a little landscaping, and it needs a full bath on the ground floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have an interested party????

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......