Friday, November 18, 2022

I Didn't Say It

Magic Johnson, on his son EJ coming out as gay:

“In the beginning, I was like any other dad. ‘Oh, I’m gonna get him in sports,’ right? And so when we start, first soccer, and then football, he like [disagrees with a shake of his the head]. ... I saw early on, he’s playing with dolls, he likes to play dress-up, but then if I come in, he would hide all that. But I saw it ... So I think he was [trying to] keep it from me, and then finally, he felt strong enough that he could finally tell me. And so, he made me change. It wasn’t he who had to adjust, I had to adjust. And I finally told him. I said, ‘Let me tell you something, you’re my son. I love you. I don’t care, if you want to be a gay man, I’m supporting that. I’m supporting you.’ And when he finally announced it to the world, I saw all the letters that came in around the world, that he affected all these other young people who wanted to come out to their parents and gave them the strength to do it ... And I tell him all the time, ‘I’m so proud of you. Live your life just like I’m living my life. Love who you want to love. Dad is going to support you all the way.’ So it was really beautiful and he cried, he needed to hear that, because some of his friends didn’t get that support. We all gotta love our children no matter what … and support them because they need that. They need to know that you love them, that you support whatever decision they make, or whoever they decide to love or like, you gotta support that. And that’s what I’ve been able to do…”

Once again, this is how it’s done: it’s your child, love them.

photo

Pete Hegseth, Fox & Friends host, on drop boxes and mail-in ballots ruining the “Red Surge”:

“Voting should not be as simple as ordering an Amazon package because there’s a lot more at stake with what you should be considering when you cast your ballot. You want to see a ‘threat to democracy?’ It’s what we’re watching in Arizona right now. As we don’t know whether people are cheating or not. But all I know is there are 265,000 ballots that still haven’t been counted and it’s Sunday. Is it gonna cut for Kari Lake? Will it not? What’s the key? Hobbs is in charge of the elections there. Hopefully, it’s all aboveboard. Looks like the next few dumps of ballots will be good for Kari Lake. That will be the test.”

He doesn’t know “if people are cheating or not” but is playing that card any way. Voting should be the easiest thing to do, without restrictions on who what when where why and how. You wanna end early voting or mail-in voting, then demand that every election day be a federal holiday where everyone is off work and can vote.

But that won’t help the GOP so … Yeah.

photo

Josh Shapiro, Pennsylvania’s Democrat Governor-elect, on his GOP opponent, Doug Mastriano, not conceding:

“I mean, who cares if he calls, right? He doesn’t get to pick the winner, the people pick the winner, and in a resounding way, they made clear that they wanted me to lead this Commonwealth forward.”

And snap!

photo

Rick Scott, Florida Republican Senator, on what happened to the Midterms:

“Here’s what happened to us: Election Day, our voters didn’t show up, we didn’t get enough voters. It was a complete disappointment. I think we’ve got to reflect now, what didn’t happen? I think we didn’t have enough of a positive message, we said everything about how bad the Biden agenda was—it’s bad, the Democrats are radical, but we have to have a plan of what we stand for.”

Uh, sheesh Captain Obvious, you didn’t get enough voters, that’s how it works. That and the fact that most Americans see that your party offers nothing but whining and complaining and support for traitors and insurrectionists.

photo

Mo Brooks, Alabama Republican Congressman, on Thing 45:

“It would be a bad mistake for the Republicans to have [Thing 45] as their nominee in 2024. [He] has proven himself to be dishonest, disloyal, incompetent, crude and a lot of other things that alienate so many independents and Republicans. Even a candidate who campaigns from his basement can beat him. No question, I am displeased with [him], but that does not change the truthfulness of what I say. I challenge anybody to make the argument that you can trust the word of [Thing 45].”

I love this from Mo Brooks, who has courted Thing 45 for support for years and is now suddenly on the other side?

We see you Mo, and know you’re a flip-flopping asshat.

photo

Josh Hawley, Missouri Republican Senator, on the GOP:

“What are Republicans actually going to do for working people? How about, to start: tougher tariffs on China, restore American jobs, open up American energy full throttle, 100k new cops on the street. Unrig the system. The old party is dead. Time to bury it. Build something new."

The party is dead because you do nothing; the party is dead because you ran to support election denialism; your party is dead because you all stood with Thing 45 even after the riots on January 6. I find it ironic that the day before the election Hawley never said a word about the GOP and after the losses he’s suddenly ready to take the party in a  new direction.

Oh, and don’t ever forget that Hawley is a strong backer of Thing 45 and raised a fist to the mob outside the capitol and then ran for cover like a little bitch when they entered the building.

photo

23 comments:

  1. So there is some Magic in good parenting. Shapiro beat Mastriano by 14%, that kind of upset hasn't happened since 1946. someone should tell Rick Scott that the only thing on Republican's bingo card was hammering Democrats, this happens when one of their main priorities is grandfathering Social Security. And Josh? Maybe he should focus on building his masculinity rather than attempt to rebuild the Republican party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh is just trying to be the first out the gate to say the party screwed up but it's odd he made no mention of it before the election.

      Delete
  2. Magic Johnson shows parents the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently watched an episode of Finding Your Roots on PBS where Nathan Lane was the subject, and he told the story of telling his mother he was gay. She said:
      "You're a homosexual? I'd rather you were dead."
      She eventually came around but imagine what hearing that can do to your child.

      Delete
  3. Good for Magic Johnson; all parents should support their children's life decisions. Not hiding who you are is a positive that parents should encourage.

    As for those broken light bulbs in the Repugnant party....I was flabbergast at Mo Brook's great revelation - who would have guessed he did not approve of der Trumpenfuhrer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo Brooks just showed how utterly stupid he is if he thinks anyone forgot his support of the Traitor.

      Delete
  4. Good for Magic. This is how it is done. It's not about the parents discomfort but supporting the child. Going through the acceptance process together as the parent and as the child will pay dividends. The acceptance of homosexuality in the US-morally acceptable-is 71% -https://www.statista.com/statistics/225968/americans-moral-stance-towards-gay-or-lesbian-relations/
    We have indeed come a long way. Not unicorns and rainbows but a long way.

    Rick Scott. We know his history. Medicare fraud-$1.7 BILLION fraud when he ran Columbia/HCA and his $300 million golden parachute. There was a recent episode on The Resident-Season 6-Episode 7 (You can watch it on Fox) The Chimera-where Steven Culp plays Atlanta's Governor Mark Betz. The back story during a confratation was ripped from Rick's life. Rick and his elk are so hypocritical it pains me. They think we are like sheep going over a cliff in lock-step.

    We should be holding a vigil and waiting for white smoke when the Big Fat Orange One is indicted. Well, maybe not. We will see if Merrick is asleep at the wheel.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the heels of Magic it was nice to see the Senate pass Marriage Equality with some GOPers stepping up.
      Rick Scott is a fucking lying pig so it's no wonder Florida voted him into office.
      I want to go after every Republican who comes out against Thing 45 after six years of kissing his orange anus.

      Delete
  5. I was so happy that Tom Shapiro won. I have long thought he was a swell man I had a hard worker for PA. And he has like my Dems and Republicans alike. So masteriano can go fuck off.

    And Kudos the Magic Johnson, a role model yet again.

    And to that one guy above, I still will never understand what is so confusing about mail-in voting? It's not any different than if you went and stood in a line and voted on a machine it's the same thing. And I know many people who processed mail in ballots. And if one thing is not up to snuffle on them they're removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shapiro isn't playing, and I like that.
      I agree about Magic; parents need to love their children unconditionally and listen to them.
      The GOP is looking for excuses as to why they lost. It's not their fault, it's the process and women voting and young people coming out to vote.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Josh Shapiro snap. Magic Johnson has come a long way.

    All I want to hear from Mo-Hegseth-Scott-Hawley-Brooks is GOOD-BYE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Schapiro's zero-fucks answer.
      Magic has come a long way, good on him.

      Delete
  7. Run, Josh, run! I will NEVER forget the way he egged on the mob. I like what Magic said: He was the one who needed to change, not his son. Some of the Republicans will be all about dump trump now that they know it will be much harder for him to win.

    Love,
    Janie
    P.S. Rick Scott's name is actually Skeletor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the GOPers will start jumping ship and trying to spin their goose-stepping for four years.
      I think of Rick Scott as Voldemort, when he was a snake.

      Delete
  8. Magic Johnson's wise and loving words brought tears to my eyes. Magic by name and Magic by nature. With the exception of Josh Shapiro, the other fellows in this blogpost are far, far less impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that Magic said he had a hard time accepting his son's sexual orientation, but that he "learned" from his son.
      That's love.

      Delete
  9. I appreciate the "I have to change, not him" attitude. More people need to realize how important that concept is. I really liked your item placement today, sweetpea, a real "good news, WTF news" post! xoxo (I'm so glad you're back)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice mix of the good and the absurd!!!
      I'm glad to be home.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I've just seen thing45 on my TV screen right here is Australia, heard all the rubbish he's still spouting. His voice is so irritating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make election day a national holiday, allow everyone at least half a day off to vote (there are some services that really can't close.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magic Johnson is a sweet man, however... it's not a decision. Being gay is NOT a decision. Yes, we could decide to deny ourselves and be someone else, but we're still going to be gay. We were born this way. It is inherent. It is in our DNA. It is who we are. So... decision is not the word, my dear. We simply ARE.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......