Monday, November 15, 2021

Goodbye My Tia

Our beloved Tia Gloria passed away on Saturday at the age of 95, after a short fight with cancer. I think she knew she had little time left, which was why she didn’t really put up a fight when Carlos wanted her to move back into the family home. This way she was surrounded by family as her health declined, and family was in the room with her as she breathed her last breath.

Gloria was a force … her brother, Carlos’ father, called her a witch, and not in the bitchy kind of way, but an actual witch. She was often called La Bruja, the witch, and it was a title she loved. But, like in Oz, she was a Good Witch not a Bad Witch.

Other than Carlos, Gloria was my first friend in Miami, and when I went to meet my future husband—though I didn’t know that at the time—and he had to work, she would take me around Miami, Over to Calle Ocho, and down to Little Havana; Coral Gables; Coconut Grove; Homestead. She took me to La Carreta where I had my first Caldo Gallego, and to this day when we go back, our first stop is La Carreta and that delicious Chicken Soup.

She took me to The Breakers in Palm Beach for a fancy lunch, and as we sat down, she asked me if I thought we should have a drink. I figured I’d let her set the tone and was prepared for her to order a White Zinfandel or a Strawberry Daiquiri or something. But La Bruja ordered a Kamikaze, and we toasted to our new friendship.

When I returned to Miami a few months later and began life with Carlos, she gave me a baseball cap, emblazoned with the word Angelito, because, to her she said, I was a Little Angel. OH, she came to find out I wasn’t so angelic, but to her I was always Angelito, and Carlos because The Other One.

She instantly made me a part of her family, and she instantly became my Tia. She eventually moved back to Mexico City but often came for visit, and when we moved to South Carolina, she would visit us here. Gloria’s favorite holiday was Thanksgiving—she loved the food and family, the same things I cherish—but as she was getting older, November in Camden was a bit cold. So, we would invite her up in March, as the weather here was turning warmer, for her birthday, and we would make her birthday dinner of turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and pumpkin cheesecake. That’s my favorite memory of Gloria, smiling as we settled around the table and gave thanks to our Tia Bruja.

As with her life, Gloria’s death came on her own terms and when she was ready to go. We spoke every day, told we loved her, we would miss her, and that she could go when she was ready.

Last Saturday she was ready; she was holding the hand of a family member and closed her eyes for the last time. She was one of my first friends in Miami and became one of my treasured family members and I will miss her something awful.

I will miss her calls on my birthday and hearing her sing Happy Birthday through the phone. I will miss calling her on her birthday, and telling her that I really meant happy birthday, but if I sang, it wouldn’t be such a good thing.

Goodbye my friend …Rest In Peace.

28 comments:

  1. I am glad that Tia Gloria had an easy death with loved ones present.

    It's one of the many downsides of old age, losing friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sad and poignant thing to lose someone who treasured you as much as you treasured them. Be as happy as you know she wanted you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. Tia Gloria sounds like a wonderful woman and she clearly loved Carlos and you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss!
    So happy she got to spend time with the family and died surrounded with love.
    Please give Carlos a hug for me.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won the lottery in life to have experienced such a great Tia. My heart goes out to you and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so sad to read this. My coldonances on losing such a vibrant family member and friend. I wished she had more time with family upon her return...but at least she had that. She must have known she was ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences Bob and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful person!
    Best wishes to you and Carlos
    and the whole family.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Helen
    I think that’s why she finally chose to move back to the family house; she knew time was running out and she could be surrounded by those who loved her.

    @Joe
    She really left her mark on my heart.
    Thank you.

    @Debra
    Thank you. Yes, she loved and she was loved, which is a great thing.

    @Six
    Thank you. Carlos was especially saddened by the loss because Gloria was kind of like asecond mother to him, and a lifelong friend and partner in crime!
    xoxo

    @Boots
    I think you’re right.
    Thank you.

    @Maddie
    I think she did know it was time, which was why, even though she fussed, she went back home where family would be around her when she passed.

    @krayolakris
    Thank you.

    @TDM
    She was a wonderful woman.
    Thanks.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a special (magical!) woman. It's great that she was home and with family. We should all be so fortunate.

    I also enjoyed reading your reminiscences from Miami. Being a Floridian myself, they made me nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:56 PM

    So sad to hear your news.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a glowing tribute to Gloria. May those fond memories take you through this sad time and days to come!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a shame. A Kamikaze? Most people will never, ever be that lucky. My condolences to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely remembrance. My condolances to you both

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful accolade for a fine friend and welcoming family matriarch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Steve
    Magical is a good word for Gloria.
    And there are so many places in South Florida I knight never have seen if it hadn’t been for her.

    @Will
    Thank you.

    @Victor
    Carlos was telling me stories of his childhood and being taken places by Gloria and the things they did together.
    I think she was his Auntie Mame, in a sense.
    xo

    @Dave
    Thanks.
    And she had TWO Kamikazes!!!

    @Mary
    Thank you.

    @Kent
    Thank you; Gloria was something special.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:54 PM

    Bob and Carlos,

    Carlos spoke of her many times . What magical memories you both have of her , I remember great conversations about her . So glad you both those moments to cherish. She left this world with dignity and on her own terms. But she left a legacy behind and you wil both cherish that . So glad for the time you had together ,

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry for your loss and Carlos' loss, hon. That song is just beautiful, isn't it? Wising you both the very best during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful tribute. I wish I knew her. You were all so fortunate. Sending you and Carlos love and condolences... and sweet, sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I'm glad you had her in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a lovely tribute to Tia Bob - and a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Nina
    Thanks so much. That was my one wish, that she was at home and with family when the time came.

    @upton
    Thank you.
    That song is one of my favorites, by one of my favorite singers, and always makes me cry. It was needed this past weekend.

    @Mitchell
    Thanks,Mitchell. She was, as my grandmother used to say, a ‘pistol.’

    @Sadie
    She really made life fun and interesting.

    @Treaders
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Take care of yourselves, what wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Travel
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Deedles
    Thanks, dear.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. My condolences to you and Carlos. What a marvelous life she lived, being able to spread love that way.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Janie
    Thank you. She was truly something special.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......