Monday, March 16, 2020

Living In The Epicenter


It’s quiet here in Camden today.

We are being called the “epicenter” of the virus in South Carolina, though there are a little more than a handful of presumptive or confirmed cases of Coronavirus. We are also home to the world’s largest steeplechase event, a party that brings nearly 100,000 to our town of 7,000, but that event has been cancelled.

That’s devastating to our economy; that’s devastating to all the people planning on working the event and now being told they are not.

Schools will close this week—USC closed last week—but most businesses in town are open, even some of the restaurants, though I wonder how they’ll do in the long run. There was even discussion of closing churches yesterday … no church in South Carolina? That’s insane! 

Luckily that other church in the state, the liquor store, is still open.

There are some eight cases here in Camden, and that isn’t bad for a town of 7.000. I remind Carlos of that because he gets a little worried. I remind him that 8 or 9 cases in a town of 7,000 isn't a great risk. Still, we are an old money town, and there are a great many people in Camden in their 70s,80s, 90s and beyond here, so that may explain the “epicenter” tag.

We stayed home most of the weekend—I took a three-day weekend—though we ran errands Saturday; our local grocer was stocked up with just about everything, the only bare or nearly bare shelves were the cleaners and soaps and hand sanitizers. We did a Lowe’s run, got cat and dog food, litter, picked up some sheet music for Carlos, and then came home and hunkered down for a couple of days. I binge-watched the second season of Westworld and Carlos practiced his trumpet.

Luckily, Carlos, though he’s on disability and does not work, can do translations from home; I don’t know about my job. I will go in today and we’ll play it by ear if we work from home or don’t work at all. I'd be fine with staying home and working, or not, from here.

I may like a little staycation as long as it isn’t too long.

I read this and it sounds kinda desolate, and it shouldn’t be, and it isn't; we are cautious, not scared. We know this may go on longer than we’d like, but we’ll be okay. I just worry about those people who won’t be …

I’m’a go and get a cat hug from Tuxedo. I'd hug Carlos but we're social distancing today.

13 comments:

  1. RTG and I went to work today, as we do not work with the public. we stayed in all weekend too; pizza delivery on friday, and RTG did a small grocery run yesterday after the panic died down. we gonna hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:22 PM

    Social distancing from Carlos...What did he do...Better yet you...We will wait later in the week for the story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been off since Saturday and don't go back until Wednesday, not because of what's going on but because I'd written it off last month. As nuts as the stores have been, I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and call me in. I went in to pick up a couple of things last night and my department (fresh produce) was wiped out. I'm sure I'll go back to a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we just had breaking news here. As of midnight tonight, six counties will be on shelter-in-place (I think that's what they called it) until at least April 7th. Restaurants will be closed except for deliveries. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and such will stay open. We can walk our dogs, go to the stores for essentials, but we are strongly encouraged to stay inside our homes. Since Balder Half is an inspector and investigator instead of being a firefighter, his job probably isn't considered essential. We shall see if I have to return to drinking in spite of my meds. Me and Balder Half, alone for at least two weeks! Death may ensue, and not from the virus!
    Take care everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work in a big box store and unfortunately they are considered essential. The quarantines are going to get worse. People have no idea. Churches were closed yesterday, rather Ironic I think for all those Evangelicals who voted for the Idiot Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. France is going into lockdown tomorrow. If you are out and about (going to work, to get groceries etc.) you now have to have a downloaded attestation on you (signed) to say that's what you're doing. Otherwise, a €38 fine (to begin with) and then going up to over €100. But you know, in the end, it is only for a finite period and I think it's in everyone's best interests isn't it (well, that is if you're lucky enough to be able to make it financially. Many won't be sadly)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe.
    Stay healthy.
    Youngest Son had to come
    back to the States and the
    job was canceled for now.
    Kids out of school - looks like
    the weather will be getting nicer.
    Hugs to all of you (even the cats!0

    ReplyDelete
  8. @AM
    As I like to say, "I don't like people" so staying in all weekend was actually nice!

    @VRC
    Our social distance is in millimeters actually! =)

    @Debra
    Camden is actually a pretty calm place these days. No one seems to be panicking, which I love.

    @Sadie
    Our local stores have all been pretty good;low on things but I didn't notice anything that was completely gone.

    @Deedles
    Take a drink and snuggle in with balder Half.The surprise of it a;; may put him off his guard!

    @Dave
    If people just stay calm, it'll be a miracle. Luckily, as I said,folks here in town seem pretty good about the whole thing.

    @Treaders
    A fine? Wow.That's serious. But if it keeps folks safe and the virus from spreading then it's a good thing.

    @TDM
    You guys stay safe out there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha
    The 'other' church. And you're right! Maddie told us all that we should stockpile on Gin.
    I am working from home for the next three or four weeks, so yeah. That's life. And I won't mind it, I think. Silver lining? I will catch up with my fav blogs.
    Stay safe!
    Hugs to Carlos

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cases went from 3 in Michigan to 53 in three days. It all depends on how much they are testing. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SG and I are living dangerously. Hugging and kissing whenever we feel like it. As for liquor, that's sold in supermarkets here, so not going to be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deedles you are in luck - you could be here! The latest proposals mean you can go for a walk but not take the dog! Not sure why that is - after all only one dog is thought to have the coronavirus while there are thousands of people across the world with it.

    One of the two major supermarkets here has its shelves pretty much clear by people bulk buying toilet paper as if it were dysentery that was sweeping the world. Antiseptic gel being stolen from hospitals and doctors - one hospital had wall-mounted gel ripped off the wall!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......