Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Architecture Wednesday

Sometimes, like Garbo, I vant to be alone.
I'm not being rude, unfriendly, or anti-social, just, well, leave me alone. But, living in a traditional house, or a mere facsimile of traditional, the only way to be left alone is to lock a door, or turn off all the lights.
This house, however, takes an entirely different, and much more fun, approach: a drawbridge.
It's like something out of a storybook--or modern zombie movie, perhaps--but the stairs leading up to this house in the trees can be pulled up mechanically to isolate the home and upper deck, allowing the owners to sleep tight, just be alone, or watch The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills without having Carlos come in the room every five seconds to ask why you're watching such a dumb show, which makes me have to pause the DVR and then back up the story so i don't miss a single sec--
Where was I? Oh, yeah. Drawbridge.
This vacation tower, located along the Hood Canal in western Washington,  is only eight hundred square feet, but feels massive thanks to its tall multi-story interior and huge waterfront-facing windows. The exterior is comprised of clear-sealed cedar and fiber cement panels while the interior features light birch plywood, raw spiral concrete-and-metal stairs and stainless steel details.
It's modern, yet rustic....and it has that mother-effing drawbridge!
Standing on the inside, though, the sharp-angled front appears to carve a clearing through the trees to create space for forward views, drawing inside eyes ever outward, while two-story architectural elements tie the first and second stories together, visually connecting the entire space.
Plus, again, a drawbridge.
For when I vant to be alone.*


*And before any of you purists get all up in my grill, I know the actual Garbo line is I vant to be left alone.

via dornob

6 comments:

  1. I love the cozy feel, but who in their right mind puts wooden benches in their family room? Talk about uncomfortable! My butt knuckle would be bruised for DAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left or right... pull up the drawbridge and you could have some alone time in this place... I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:19 PM

    Sometimes I wish I had that kind of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! But then again I ain't one to pass up on a lot of wood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are purists here? Someone hide the booze, pills, and the orgy in the next room.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......