Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: The Derby House

Y’all know how much I love a Frank Lloyd Wright house, but this one is not a favorite. Thankfully, though, it’s not an FLW home, but was designed and built by FLW's eldest son Frank Lloyd Wright, Jr., better known as Lloyd Wright.

The Derby House, built in 1926, showcase Lloyd Wright’s ability to integrate nature and building: the garage gates, fireplace grates, French door grills, and closets are abstract renderings of the yucca plants that grow on the hills surrounding the home, and the pre-cast concrete ornamentation is of Mayan inspiration.

The 3,281-square-foot, five-bedroom, three-bath home, which sits on 1.53 acres and includes multiple terraces and outdoor spaces surrounded by mature oak and eucalyptus trees, was commissioned by businessman James Derby for his family, but he and his wife separated before the home was completed, so only she and their children ever lived there.

What do I love? The ornamentation, of course; the Mayan influences. But the interiors are somewhat bland, with the exception of some windows and the fireplaces; and the bathrooms … oy, the Pink Palace? Gurl, no. And while that kitchen isn’t bad, again, it’s just bland. It’s a shame Lloyd Wright couldn’t have brought some of those outside influences into the entire home.

The Derby House is on the National Register of Historic Places, meaning the exterior can never be altered and it cannot be torn down, and is for sale for $3.195 million.

25 comments:

  1. It's giving me Blade Runner.
    That being said, I also love the Mayan inspo and it's very 1920's in that the rooms are not big and it's very chopped up. The bathrooms may be original to the house, tbh. I'm glad they declared it a historical monument, though.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some of the original interiors need some help. The Pepto Bismol Bath is giving me fits!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Actually, I like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd do some interior work on it and leave the outside just as it is.

      Delete
  3. No surprise, but I think the whole place is hideous. That kitchen is depressing beyond measure! The outside looks like some kind of upper-class prison. The greenery is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the outside with the concrete block and the Mayan masonry, but, yes, that kitchen, and those baths? No, honey, no.

      Delete
  4. Yup, very different. The yellow kitchen! ak!
    Like the outside greenery.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kitchen needs a refresh STAT!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think it is interesting. The one view of the terrace reminds me of his fathers Falling Waters. I live 10 miles from it and around 15 miles from the fathers Kentuck Knob that was built for the Hagen family. If your ever in the area I have a guest room that you are welcome to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen Kentuck Knob, but it is quintessential FLW. Lovely spaces.

      Delete
  6. I am 50 miles south east of Pittsburgh Pa. in the Laurel Highlands,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS!!! Not only Frank Lloyd Wright influence but with his son fresh twist. The outdoor areas are spectacular.and the pink? salmon? bathroom is one of my favorite parts of the house. So much detail. I even Love it down to the car in the driveway!!!!!! I love an unusual home...and not a cookie cutter one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the property but the house, and only on the inside, feels way to outdated and bland for.

      Delete
  8. I actually really like those interiors, even the big pink bathroom and the bland kitchen -- but I agree there's a little too much monotonous boysenberry in that first bathroom. I think I'd put in a different floor, if the National Register would allow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're allowed to change the interiors, but cannot change the facade at all, so a few new bathrooms, a bit more open kitchen, and some more concrete Mayan-ish work and I'd buy it.

      Delete
  9. What an amazing house! I would love to walk through it. It is so much fun. I love all the light and the odd touches. The windows are so unique... And that layout is crazy. It looks a bit cramped, but I would like to walk through it to get a sense of it's flow and ceiling heights. Thanks for sharing this one, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs tweaking on the inside for me, but I love the carved wood and the concrete molds.

      Delete
  10. I saw Falling Waters a couple of years ago and everything pales forever in comparison .. nevertheless I sort of like this house, I actually love the yellow of the kitchen but for some reason that pink bathroom makes my teeth ache ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling Water is the masterpiece, but he did some beautiful work elsewhere, too.
      That bathroom; Barbie Bathroom!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Like I said, I like parts of it, but I'd change some interior stuff.

      Delete
  12. No thank you, this one is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not everyone's taste.

      Delete
  13. It needs a little color inside, I could live with the art deco pink baths. The cabinet doors in the kitchen are a bit plain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living here in L.A., we are fortunate to have a few examples of FLW's work, so I'm slightly biased, BUT I'm with you in that I love the exteriors, but inside is a whole different matter! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......