Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: The Light House

I am not really one to go into a house of worship, though I am one to go into a house of worship that has been converted into a house; or, in the case of this church across from Dolores Park in San Francisco, four houses.

The church, a  dome-capped, Neoclassical building, the Second Church of Christ Scientist, dates back to 1915. Originally designed by architect William Crim, it served as a church throughout the20th century and was recently reimagined as The Light House by developer Siamak Akhavan as four private residential units, one of which is now up for grabs. And that unit boasts 5,332 square feet on three levels, retaining much of the original character of the church, cathedral ceilings, exposed brick walls, and stained-glass windows.

Upon arrival, a formal entry on the lower-level leads to a generously sized family room/sitting room, and den/media room; the den features wood paneling, exposed brick and exposed beams overhead and is encircled by steel columns, and could be ideal for a home business use as it has a separate entryway from the garage, or could be divided into multiple bedrooms or other uses. There is a bathroom, laundry room/prep kitchen, and access to a shared garden for all residents.

Back in the foyer, a staircase crafted from the original building timber connects the lower level with the main floor great room with 30’ cathedral ceilings spanning the entire width of the room, complete with exposed brick walls, polished cement floors, steel beams, original and repurposed woodwork, walnut paneling, art-glass clerestory windows, and more. The great room also features several sitting areas, a dining room, and industrial-style chef's kitchen, powder room, home office or nursery, and one of the home’s bedrooms.

On the top floor are two bedrooms, both with skylights and exposed brick walls. The front bedroom has an attached walk-in closet, while generous back bedroom looks out over the shared garden. These rooms share a stunning bathroom with a double vanity, limestone Roman tub and a glass-enclosed walk-in shower. The hallway connecting the bedrooms is illuminated by overhead skylights and one of the sides of the hallway has a lattice-covered opening looking down into the great room below.

Like I said, I’m not much for a house of god, but this house is fit for the goddesses, and in my favorite city in the world. Pray I can come up with $5,995,000 so I can buy this one.

As always,click to emBIGGERate ...

13 comments:

  1. Nipper10:22 AM

    For six million buckeroos you'd think they'd have figured out how to a/c the place. I mean, window units? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been by this on trips there and wondered about the interior. Hmmmmmm something bothers me with this one. Too big? And the exterior is far from a warm feeling and not "home" feeling at all. The interior feels too commercial feeling and oh look..."let keep the brick exposed". I don't know. I think this could have been done better...unless like I said used for commercial use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And once again, nope. The red pillow thingy doesn't even help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked it when they convert churches into houses. It's tricky, but doable. I like this one. I don't like that it's four houses, but it's a big building.
    I'd love to have those ceilings, though.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to tune the pipe organ in that church, it was a lovely little instrument that had been sent by the builder (Hall I believe) to the 1915 Panama Pacific Exhibition to show off their work. I hope someone saved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well... someone did a good
    job on it! The front entrance,
    I think needs warming up, notice
    they have it all fenced off so,
    I guess, folks don't toddle in
    looking to go to church.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's pretty cool and very unusual. I'm not sure I'd like living in such a cavernous space, though, and those girders are really in-your-face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nipper
    I hadn’t noticed the window units! Too funny! But then they are only in the office and bedrooms, so maybe that great room has it’s own aircon?

    @Maddie
    It is too big; I mean, imagine me and Carlos shrieking at one another across that great room!!!
    I like the exterior because it’s so different, but, yeah, it’s a bit too commercial on the interiors.

    @Deedles
    I’m finding an entire house made of red ... everything!!!!

    @Six
    Imagine though, it’s four houses at over 5,000 square feet each!!!
    That’s so huge.

    @Ken
    What a cool story, and I would hope the organ was saved!

    @TDM
    I wouldn’t want strange worshippers knocking at MY door!!

    @Steve
    I love the space though that great room is way too large. I’d like to have seen it divided up more, and the spaces would still be big.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance, I fell in love with this. Some of the architectural details are amazing. But I think the exposed brick may have had its day and it makes me nervous being one of the worst building materials in an earthquake zone, although I’m sure that’s up to the latest standards. The living room/kitchen/great room is amazing but needs some visual and physical definition in my opinion. Although I’m taken by it, I don’t think I’ll spend my 6 million there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just OMG this is everything1 Swooning. I like Exposed Old Brick and I especially J'Adore Old Buildings reimagined and Saved/Rescued so they don't end up razed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mitchell
    I like old old old exposed brick, and this seems a little too new. Plus, yeah, in San Francisco this might be a hazard during the Big One.

    @Bohemian
    I love old buildings that were one thing being turned into houses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could live there,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning. I love old churches and would live in one in a heartbeat. This is very nicely done. A bit cool for my taste, but how very beautiful. Thanks, Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......