Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: Santa Barbara’s Weird and Wonderful Whale House

The Whale House, built in 1978, is a one-of-a-kind, architecturally magical masterpiece from head to tail—literally!

The Whale House was designed by Michael Carmichael as a whimsical expression of artistry set amongst peaceful oak and sycamore trees and seasonal Mission Creek with the wavy cedar shingled exterior giving the home a homogenous “skin” to blend in with the natural surroundings. And, since an artistic home needs a unique entrance, you enter through the whale’s mouth and let the imaginative lifestyle begin.

Three floors of creative genius encompass the head of the whale, including a spiral stairwell open to the outdoors, a rock-covered elevator shaft, and 270 Belgian leaded and stained-glass windows to take in the tranquil 360-degree views; there are walls of undulating Venetian plaster and massive wood beams and columns.

The “belly” of the whale is a relaxing interior courtyard with serene bamboo-lined outdoor shower, plenty of room to entertain guests, and a 75-foot glistening lap pool that flows from the courtyard into the grotto of the whale’s tail.

On the second Floor, overlooking the pool below, is a well-equipped kitchen, living room and dining room that all connect in a 360-degree circle. The third floor holds the primary suit, and features a jetted spa tub in the room, a sitting area, and balcony overlooking the pool; for the working professional, perch at the high-top table, and bring a laptop to create a tree house working environment high above the seasonal Mission Creek below. On the fourth floor is a light-filled suite, another bathroom, with tall windows and a claw foot tub.

Mission Canyon is a magical wooded neighborhood, yet only minutes from beloved attractions like the Santa Barbara Mission and Rose Garden, the Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens, and the nearby downtown area.

It was for sale, but is also available on Vrbo, in case you don’t watch to buy, you just want the experience of Jonah.

Dwell

44 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:10 AM

    the dog's mother
    oh! my! goodness!
    Really creative!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, but it is a wonder!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. krayolakris9:33 AM

    Beautiful artistry and amazing design. It would’ve been fun to watch the construction. The variety and form of natural materials are stunning. I could live there. In my next life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could visit but living there might not be my thing!

      Delete
  3. Throw a couple of area rugs down for dogs and I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting definitely, but 100% not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa.
    One of a kind is right. Love that interior courtyard! And the details make it very, very attractive. Not for everyone (a lot of people love their conventions) but very beautiful.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the courtyard, it's the whale parts that I'm not on board with.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. What a fun place that would be to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever featured Scotty's Castle?

      Delete
    2. Like Jonah!

      Delete
    3. I haven't featured Scotty's castle, but it is interesting.

      Delete
  8. I cannot imagine how they built that! AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a work of art, that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. Oh my God! Do I look like I'm a part of the Swiss Family Robinsons? This is a no-go for me. That house will drive me Looney Tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kinda with you on this one!

      Delete
  10. Moby Dick swallowed Dr. Seuss! A nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I'd feel like chunk tuna in a can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chunk tuna? You're killing me! But i like the Dick Seuss reference!

      Delete
  11. Very unique and creative. Glad their vison came to life. I could spend a vacation there and enjoy what the house has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be best as a vacation spot.

      Delete
  12. Cleora Borealis11:57 AM

    🐳 There is absolutely nothing I dislike in this house!! The bed in a loft above the laundry room is odd, yet I would spend much time there hiding out and reading! The view from the outside at dusk with all the lights on gives me oogies of pleasure!! 🥰 I think it is so quaint that you call that entrance the whale's "mouth." To me, it resembles an entirely different opening! 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I will only think that you walk in through the whale's ass!

      Delete
  13. It's a real curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a work of art, it is STUNNING. But as a house -- I feel like it might be hard to sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's for a specific buyer ... maybe someone who will rent it out?

      Delete
  15. I wouldn't want to live there but I’d rent it as a holiday escape in a heartbeat. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like, it is weird in a wonderful way

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's absolutely amazing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proves there is a house for everyone!

      Delete
  18. This is why people smile when they say they live in California! We're fun! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun, wacky, weird and wild!
      xoxo

      Delete
  19. Very quirky, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nope, not for me, though I do like the lagoon in the yard, but not the part under the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of whimsy and I am somewhat whimsy-intolerant.

      Delete
  21. That has Lewis Carroll written all over it!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......